Changing Pulse Ratio

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
Garry

Changing Pulse Ratio

Post by Garry »

Set up an Omnimeter V.4 and Push for water meter reading about year ago; working fine. Setting up another one now, but memory is lacking. To change Pulse Ratio I think I had to hook up the Omnimeter (or Push?) to my laptop via the USB/RS-485 Converter which I have from you. Exactly what do I have to do? I assume the unit needs to be powered up, and then I can make this change on the laptop?
Jameson

Re: Changing Pulse Ratio

Post by Jameson »

To see if your meter is set to 1000:1 or 1:1, you can see how it is set in your EKM Push data.

The OmniMeter Pulse used to come preset to increment one digit per 1000 pulses from the pulse output meter (the Omnimeter Pulses we ship lately are preset to 1:1). So if your meter is set to 1000:1, you would need 1000 pulses from the pulse output meter (water meter, gas meter, etc) before the Omnimeter/Dash increments to 1. You can change it to increment one digit per pulse, etc., so you can see more detailed usage.

There are basically 2 ways to approach this with the Dash software, depending on what communication converter you are using:

1. To change that actual pulse ratio in the meter — with a USB or iSerial converter:
To do this you will need to connect the Omnimeter Pulse v.4 to your computer using our iSerial converter or one of our USB Converters (Not our EKM Push) and then access the meter via the EKM Dash software. All these items are located here.
In the Dash software select your meter, then go to the Meters > Edit Meter. In the Edit Meter window you will need to temporarily change it to USB instead of Push. Then the software will be able to access the Omnimeter Pulse v.4 via the USB converter instead. Be sure to change it back to Push when you are done and reconnect it to your Push.
Now go from "Edit Meter" to the “Pulse” menu button. Choose which of the 3 pulse inputs you will be setting up (1, 2, or 3). This corresponds to which input on top of the OmniMeter Pulse your pulse meter (water, gas, electric, etc.) is connected to. Where it says Pulse Input Ratio you can change it to 1:1, Click "Set Now” and then “OK".

2. To adjust the Dash software to interpret your pulse counts coming in via the EKM Push properly:
If you only have the Push and no access to directly connect to the Omnimeter Pulse v.4 then you cannot actually change any settings inside the meter itself. However you can at least go into the software on your computer and set it up to read the pulses properly when they do come in.

Be sure to click on “Set Now” after you do this to complete this change. If prompted for a password, default password is "0" (without quotation marks). (If you change this we cannot retrieve it for you.)

Please let us know if you need a hand with either determining the setting in your meter now, or how to make the Pulse Input Ratio settings change.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Garry

Post by Garry »

I have the Omnimeter Pulse V.4 terminal' s G, B-, A+ hooked to your USB Converter and the converter is plugged into the office computer on which the Dash software is loaded. When I select the meter I am working with and the Meters>Edit I get the screen with USB - iSerial-Push. Then I select the USB, but the Pulse selection does not appear as I thought it should at this point. all that changes is that the Serial Port option shows.

On the Omnimeter I do not have any inputs hooked up, but I did not think I had to.
Garry

Post by Garry »

Could the above problem be with the Windows 10 I am running and your USB Converter ? No USB driver automatically downloaded when I plugged the USB into the computer. Do you have new USB that have the drivers loaded for Windows 10? I looked at FTDI website and it looks quite a procedure to download their driver and install.
Garry

Post by Garry »

If anyone seeing this post has an idea of what the problem may be, I would sure appreciate some ideas.
Thanks
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Apologies Garry, we had to get our Windows 10 machine to kick into gear. We checked it with Dash connected to a meter via USB and it worked fine. Windows 10 automatically either downloaded or already had the FTDI USB drivers installed.

Once you choose to change the meter from Push to USB, click OK, so that the settings will save.

I would not connect Ground to the USB Converter or to the meter RS485 Ground.
On the Omnimeter I do not have any inputs hooked up, but I did not think I had to.
Yes, you do not have to have the CTs connected. The Omnimeter will only need to be powered up with 120 or 240 volts so that you can communicate with it.
Could the above problem be with the Windows 10 I am running and your USB Converter ?
No, the EKM Dash and the USB converter should work well on Windows 10. The drivers should either auto install or be pre-installed on your computer. Once installed, some computers do require a re-boot. Here is a link to the Virtual COM Port drivers for all operating systems: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Let us know how it goes.
Jameson
EKM METERING
Garry

Post by Garry »

Not going well at all.

I disconnected the ground wire from the Omnimeter, rebooted the computer, went to Meters>Edit , USB Tab came up as already selected, hit OK, and window pops up that says "Unable to Read Latest Meter Data".

When I first plug in USB, it flashes but then goes out and does not flash any more. On Dash, the Activity (lower left) says "No Response- Check RS485 connection. I have checked and rechecked the USB connections and connections to the Omnimeter; all are good
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Sounds like the next step is to send us as many photos and screenshots as you can.

Photos of your USB Converter and connections
Photos of your Omnimeter and connections
Screenshots of your meter setup screen
Screenshots of EKM Dash Main screen

Hopefully we can use these to spot what is going wrong.
Jameson
EKM METERING
Garry

Post by Garry »

Jameson
Just sent 5 pix by email to info@ekmmetering
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Garry,

Thanks for the photos, I cannot tell if your Omnimeter is powered up.

A couple things to check:

1. I would rewire your RS485 B- connection to the USB converter, it does not look connected at all, or if it is, it is hanging on by a thread.

2. It looks like you are trying to connect to the USB Converter on COM1. In my experience this is not the USB port of your computer (though it could be, our Windows 10 machine uses COM Port 4). To check which port your USB Converter is on you have to go into Windows 10 Control Panel (this path is only for Windows 10)

Go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Unspecified > FT232R USB UART > Hardware > Location > (This is your port)

Screenshots of this "Location" page would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING