layers in meteric system

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
saadhamad

layers in meteric system

Post by saadhamad »

Dear sir,
As it is known for all, the electric companies rate there service to their clients on layers while the EKM metering system (cost/kwh) feature either does not allow layering, or I don’t know how to use it.
Could you please take care of such topic.
Jameson

Re: layers in meteric system

Post by Jameson »

Hello saadhamad, welcome to the forum.

I am not clear what you mean by layers. Can you explain?

I am aware of utilities that bill by either Flat Rate billing (fixed cost per kWh), Time-of-Use Rate Billing (price per kWh changes depending on the time of day or time of season), or Tiered Rate billing. These are the main 3 billing methods that I know of.

Flat Rate: Pretty self explanatory, you are charged the same amount no matter the time of day. Our metering system can provide the data to do this.

Time-of-Use Rate:

The EKM Dash software supports different Time Of Use periods that you can set in accordance with your electricity utility provider's time of use rates.

The meter can be setup and keep track of four separate TOU tariffs (T1,T2,T3,T4) to calculate the energy used at different periods of time. For example if your power is more expensive from 1PM to 7PM and it is cheaper from 7PM to 11PM, the meter can keep track of these different periods of time.

It can be set for up to 4 time periods per day and it can specify the tariff for that period (from T1 to T4).

The meter date and time can be set by RS-485 communication. This can be done in the EKM Dash software.

Note: To do this you will need to connect the meter to your computer using one of our USB Converters and then access the meter via the EKM Dash software.

This TOU data is also reported via the EKM Push system.

Tiered Rate: Some utilities charge you more if you use more (like here in California). For example, you may be billed at $0.12 for the first 100 kWH, $0.18 for kWhs 100 to 300, $0.28 for 300 to 500, and $0.42 for anything over 500.

Our metering systems can provide the data to be able to do this as well.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
saadhamad

Post by saadhamad »

Hello Jameson,
thanks for your reply,
the billing system in some countries (like Saudi arabia) depends on the Kwh consumption per month that consider client in slices where the lower consumption clients are subsidized and the higher are not, for example:
0 to 3000 Kwh rated at 0.02 $ per Kwh
3001 to 6000 Kwh rated at 0.05 $ per Kwh
6001 to 9000 Kwh rated at 0.1 $ per Kwh
And so on, hope I clarify that for you.
So, if you consume a 6,350 kwh from 1st to 31st of Aug your bill will be (2,000*0.02+2,000*0.05+350*0.1= 40 + 100 + 35 = 175 $ ).
All I want to know is how manage this using EKM meter.
Regards,
Saad Ashri
saadhamad

Post by saadhamad »

Sorry, regarding the example above it is
3,000*0.02 + 3,000*0.05 + 350*0.1 = 60+150+35 = 245
saadhamad

Post by saadhamad »

Dear Jameson,
the system we have in saudi arabia is Tiered rate, it is kind of you if you explain how to do it.
best regards.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Yes, it sounds like Tiered Pricing.

Our software and Push systems will tell you the kWh consumption for the month, we do not have the ability to input the tiered prices at this point. You will have to calculate the total cost using the formula you described.

So you have all of the data you need to create tiered price bill, we just do not have a section in our software that calculates this for you.

Hope this helps,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
saadhamad

Post by saadhamad »

Dear Jameson,
thank you.