Importing past metering results when changing PC

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
pvanmastrigt

Importing past metering results when changing PC

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello EKM Metering,

I have changed to another PC (macbook) and exported all metering data from my windows PC. How to import the metering results such that all history is available again?

Appreciate any pointers,

With regards
Piet van Mastrigt
Jameson

Re: Importing past metering results when changing PC

Post by Jameson »

You could either be speaking about the EKM Dash data or the EKM Push data. You can do this for both. I will assume you mean how to import a Dash Database to a new computer.

I am not 100% certain about switching from a Windows PC to Mac OSX.

First Quit your EKM Dash on your new computer.
While holding the Shift key, open your EKM Dash.
In this interface you can select the Database version you want to use. Just select your old database. This is also where you can export your old database.
Screenshot 2017-01-17 09.33.47.png
Screenshot 2017-01-17 09.33.47.png (77.53 KiB) Viewed 13999 times
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello Jameson, thanks for your reply. Indeed I am using the EKM Dash software.

--> The database I took with me is not a .db file but instead a large .csv file simply exported using the File > Export from the main menu dropdown. It is difficult for me to access the old PC. Could I somehow read and import the .csv file into the EKM Dash software instead on the macbook?

What i have tried so far:

1.) simply point at the .csv file and then choose "open with" > EKM Dash. (does not "do" anything, just starts the Dash software with a new db).
2.) went through all menu items to hunt for an import option.
3.) hold the shift key when opening the Dash software as per your suggestion and point at the .csv file under "choose database". This does not work as the software grays the filename and the "open" button.

Thanks for any further tips on this.

With regards
Piet van Mastrigt
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

No there is no way to import a .csv file into your EKM Dash, you would have to use your old Database file. Do you still have access to your old PC?
Jameson
EKM METERING
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

This is going to be very difficult as it is located in Europe, whilst I have moved to Asia... however, not a complete impossibility, so I will get some help to break in, export, and send the .db file via a sharing site - will take time though, but will keep you posted.

Meanwhile here is my obvious suggestion: to pair the export of data with an import option for .csv files.

With regards,
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks! We always appreciate suggestions. We will continue to improve all of our offerings, and customer suggestions are really what we use to steer development.

Yes, if you can remote into your old PC and dropbox yourself the .db file, that should work.
Jameson
EKM METERING
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello Jameson,

O.K. there are some mixed results as follows:

1.) Someone helped breaking into my old windows computer and tried to export the database as instructed.
2.) The claim was that whilst holding the <shift> key and starting EKM Dash, the Database Manager did not come up. I was in contact through WhatsApp phone only and had this process redone several times (e.g. after reset of the machine, after ensuring the EKM Dash software was closed properly etc.), but no change.
3.) Instead a Windows file search revealed several .db files - all of which were send via Dropbox and then attempted to be imported here on the Macbook by holding the <shift> key when starting the software and then make a selection.
4.) Of some five files one actually imported with success and showed just a bit of data. This was likely the most recent file. The other files did not import with the following message:

"Database update did not succeed. Your database must be updated to work with this version of EKM Dash, but the update did not succeed. EKM Dash cannot continue"

Bottom line: I think the process works as described but the user has to take care to export and then import a file that is compatible. So old .db files found on a disk are clearly not the way to go. I don't understand why under Windows the Database Manager did not show, but I was not behind the machine so can only take this as information.

Since I did get a bit of historical data, is there a way to merge that with recent measurements?

With regards,
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello,

Glad to hear is sounds like you found the correct .db file! Im not sure why holding the shift key during an EKM Dash start did not bring up the .db files. Maybe you have an older EKM Dash version.

There is no way that I know of to merge two .db files. Sounds dicey if you dont know your way around MySQL databases. If you were to attempt it I would be sure to keep a good copy of both originals unmolested. I would just keep them separate and move forward that way. I tend to move forward with fresh EKM Dash databases anyway. What I do is keep a copy of my database that only has my meters and settings (without much meter data), this way when my EKM Dash database gets over a few GB I can start over with a fresh .db. I have had a .db file over 20 GB, but it gets a little slow.

Hope this helps.
Jameson
EKM METERING
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello Jameson, thanks for the reply. I have started a fresh database. Also with some .xls wizardry I managed to get to the results I wanted, which has saved me a lot of money. If you are interested in that background: my pool man wanted to repair a suspected leak, involving draining the pool, pressure testing of the lines by a specialized company, repairs to whatever etc. etc. The historical meter data convinced me that no leak was present at all, and all problems have disappeared.. :)