UL or No UL

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
m1sacs

UL or No UL

Post by m1sacs »

How do i determine if i need the UL version or not? I am installing into a Gas station and i nee to make sure i am getting the right meter.
Jameson

Re: UL or No UL

Post by Jameson »

Hello m1sacs,

The need for UL listing really depends on your local jurisdiction and building codes. You can ask your local building department if they require it. Many building inspectors like to see the UL mark, even if they dont really need it according to their code. If you are unsure if you will need UL, then it is probably best to get UL.

There are many cases where UL is not needed, but having it can't hurt if you can afford the extra $.

There is no functional difference between the UL Listed Models and the Non-UL Listed models.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
m1sacs

Post by m1sacs »

In your video on how to install it it shows that it was being installed in a UL Box, would that cover it even if I got a non UL version of your meter?
m1sacs

Post by m1sacs »

I also have these type of retail store all across the USA and obviously like any company cost is a big deal, now since its probably going into a panel of some sort anyways if i got a UL panel which is less than the difference in price of the UL to non UL meter i would want to go that route.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

No the UL Listed Enclosure would just be part of a UL Listed installation. It would not be a UL Listed install if you did not use a UL Listed meter inside the UL Listed Enclosure.

For a UL Listed Install you have to use a UL Listed Enclosure, UL Listed Fuse Holders, and a UL Listed Meter, along with UL Listed wire and fittings.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com