Digi xBee chips

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
adolph

Digi xBee chips

Post by adolph »

Hello,
I currently have 2 V.3 meters and an EKM 485Bee adapter with an xBee chip. The chip is a xbeeS2 module model number XB24-Z7WIT-004. The software loaded is ZigBee Router AT. My serial settings are : BD =3 (Baud Rate) 9600: NB=1 (Even Parity): SB=0 (One Stop bit) RO=3 (Packetization Timeout): D7=0 (CTS flow control disabled): D6= (RTS Flow Control disabled)
My EKM meter # is 14433 and 14439. I'm sending a frame to the xBee from the coordinator instructing it to send a serial message. The serial message is:2F 3F 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 34 34 33 33 21 0D 0A. I get a reply back from the xBee chip stating that the serial message was successfully sent. (so I know that I'm communicating between the xBees. Yet I don't receive a reply from the EKM. I tried both address and neither replies. I've double checked my wiring and all seems secure and correct.

Question:
1. I'm using the 2.4 chip while you show the 900 chip. They seem to be compatible, just differs in how far they will transmit. Can you give me the model number of the 900 chip so I can research it further? You will find it on the underside of the chip.
2. I searched the DIGI site and from what I've found, ALL their chips are set to 8 Bits and can not be changed to 7 Bits like you instructed. Any thoughts?
3. Can you send me the xBee settings (IE the ones I enumerated above) you are using for the 900 chip?
4. Also can you send me the xBee Firmware you are using on the 900?

Thanks in advance,
Adolph
Jameson

Re: Digi xBee chips

Post by Jameson »

Hello Adolph, welcome to the forum!!

We have chosen to use the 900 MHz digi xbees because they work the best in the most scenarios. The 2.4 MHz radios will work, we just did not like them quite as much.

We leave the serial settings on the radios at their default (9600, 8, none, 1). Yes, these are different from our meter serial settings of (9600 baud, 7 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control) The only setting we change in the xBee is the CTS (check to send), change this to "RS485 Enable High".

We use a firmware called 806A (not commonly available)

Im about 70% certain that if you change the CTS it will work.

Hope this helps,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
adolph

Re: Digi xBee chips

Post by adolph »

Jameson,
Thanks for the quick reply. I got it to work. YEA. Just in case anyone else out there tries to do the same thing here is what works.
Your advice about leaving the Serial settings at their defaults except changing the CTS to 'RS485 Enable High' worked. However The router IE the chip in your board needs the firmware to be 'ZigBee Router AT'. I first had 'ZigBee router API'. The router and coordinator talked to each other, and the router transmitted the frame, but the EKMs did not respond. (I don't have a serial sniffer so I couldn't see exactly what the router sent out thru the serial port.) I then updated the firmware to 'ZigBee Router AT' and got a response from the EKM the first time.
Thanks again,
Adolph