No Ubuntu 16.04 access to Omnimeter I v3

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
worksg@hughes.net

No Ubuntu 16.04 access to Omnimeter I v3

Post by worksg@hughes.net »

I have an Omnimeter I v3 connected to an EKM Blink USB-RS485 converter. It works with DASH on Windows 10 but I need it to work with Ubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu did not recognize the downloadable DASH for Linux as an executable file. Attempts to communicate in Linux with a terminal program apparently do address the meter, but the returned buffer is always too small and missing the checksum. How do I get this to work?
Jameson

Re: No Ubuntu 16.04 access to Omnimeter I v3

Post by Jameson »

Hello worksg,

I am not very good at Linux or Ubuntu. So Im not sure why Ubuntu would not recognize the EKM Dash as an executable file.

Any way you can send me a screenshot of the error or the message you get? Or does it not even an option to open EKM Dash on Ubuntu 16.04?

I looked around Google for issues relating to Xojo (the Dash development environment) and Ubuntu 16.04, but came up a bit empty handed.

===
Attempts to communicate in Linux with a terminal program apparently do address the meter, but the returned buffer is always too small and missing the checksum. How do I get this to work?
Sounds like a buffer issue with how your computer is interpreting the Hex. If your meter is responding at all, Im sure the meter is making a full 255 byte response (they always do), but for some reason your computer is cutting off some bytes.

I would try some serial sniffing software to see what is going on. Take a look at RealTerm, Cool Term, Advanced Serial Port Monitor, etc. This way you can see what is really going on on the serial bus and then try to determine why your computer is not showing you all bytes it is receiving.

Let me know! Im interested to hear how this works out.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com