iSerial Read Data Error

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
vdoshi

Re: iSerial Read Data Error

Post by vdoshi »

Dear Jameson,
Thanks for your comments. The ACT light is not flashing, but if the connection is made correctly, do you have any suggestions as to why the meter would not be sending data to the iSerial device? As mentioned earlier, the cable length is about 12 meters. would this cause a problem?
In the meantime, I will check the connections again.
Thanks,
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks for getting back to us.

Because the ACT light is not flashing, which indicates there is not serial RS485 traffic: It sounds like there are ethernet or internet side issues. This is the ethernet side of the iSerial.

This could be:
Wrong IP address (assuming you are using the correct IP in the EKM Dash settings, it not this because you are able to log into your iSerial using the correct IP. Please double check your IP address of your iSerial matches the one you are using in the EKM Dash settings.)
Port is not Open in your router (not an issue because your are on your local network)
I would try power cycling the iSerial :?
Check to make sure you are using a current version of the EKM Reader (v.320 or above)
After these are addressed we will be looking at sending you a replacement iSerial :oops:

I would not suspect the RS485 side of things. The RS485 wire can be up to 1200 meters long, so 12 meters in length is not going to cause any issues.

Thanks for sticking with it, we will help you get this sorted one way or another.

Best regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

Hi,
I have some doubts on the DIDO settings of the iSerial device. Please find a screen shot of the same. Please let me know if these setting are correct?
Thanks,
Attachments
DIDO settings on the iSerial device
DIDO settings on the iSerial device
Screenshot-Mozilla Firefox.png (85.59 KiB) Viewed 14378 times
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

Hi,
I have confirmed the IP address. Additionally, I'm testing it on a second network setup without any port blocking. I am also able to reach the iSerial configuration menu using the same IP. When the Dash software polls the meters, the link light is flashing which tells me that traffic is flowing between the PC and the iSerial device. From the Dash software, I can see that the iSerial device polls the meter and returns a "(Meter Number) Read Regular Data Error" as per the screen shot above. Kindly confirm that the DIDO settings are correct.
Thanks,
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

By the way, I'm using the EKM Dash software and not the EKM Reader software.
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

Hi,
I tried setting the meter and iSerial device in a different setup.
I still get the same error, but now I noticed that the ACT ligh is flashing about once every 5 seconds or so. The EKM Dash software still shows the Read Regular Data Error.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

It sounds like port blocking could have been the issue on the first network. Now that you have the ACT light flashing when you try to read a meter, this means that you are successfully connecting to the iSerial and now the issue is on the RS485 side.

Here are some reasons the RS485 side could be not working:
1. The wires are not connected right (from your photos, it looks correct)
2. The wires may not have good contact with the terminal blocks (hard for me to tell)
3. The meter address may be wrong (in order to check this you can only have one meter connected to the RS485 network. In the EKM Dash go to Edit Meter>Advanced and click discover. This should return the meter number that is laser marked on the face of the meter. Let me know if it does not)
4. You do not have the latest version of the EKM Dash installed. (what version are you running? Under "About EKM Dash")
5. In complex or very long lengths of RS485 wire (which you system is not) you may require terminating resistors on the RS485 wire. I would not use them if you do have them in place for now.

Under Help>Hex Inspector there is a window that shows the RS485 traffic, will you send us a copy/paste of the text in the Hex window?

I have never gotten the DIDO settings to work and as far as I know they do not work and do not do anything, so I would just leave them as they were. They are not necessary for reading your meters.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

Hi Jameson,
Thanks for your comments. I will check tomorrow morning and post the results.
vdoshi

Post by vdoshi »

Hi Jameson,
I'm using Dash version 0.0.0.321. I have only one meter connected to the iSerial device. When I tried to discover the meter address, it tells me that it is unable to discover the meter number, please try again.
Below is the output from the hex editor:

Meter Number: 10001284
Meter Model: EKM-OmniMeter v.3
Address: 192.168.49.129
Port: 50000
Read Interval: 1

Send
2F 3F 30 30 30 30 31 30 30 30 31 32 38 34 21 0D
0A

Send
0A

Send
0A

Send
0A

Send
0A

Once again, your help is truely appreciated.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Please quadruple-triple check your wire connections. 99% of the time when we get this far it is all due to a bad connection. Strip the RS485 data wire extra far back and make sure you have a good connection.

Also try reading meter 999999999999 (this is 12 9s). This is the default meter address, this only works if you have one meter connected. The meter should respond with it's meter number.

If this does not work, to be honest I am at a loss, and it is time to send you a replacement iSerial :oops:

Contact us by email at info@ekmmetering.com to arrange.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING