Socket Error

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
Samantha

Socket Error

Post by Samantha »

Hello,

I'm trying to read my meters remotely.
I've connected one of the ZigBees, powered by the USB converter, to the latest meter (V.4) and another ZigBee using the USB port.

I've set the configurations to read the data locally and I've select the correct COM port but it still shows me, 'Socket Error' on EKM DASH.
Tried re-connecting the wires and such but it still shows me error.
Any ideas why?

Thank you for helping.
Jameson

Re: Socket Error

Post by Jameson »

It is always a good idea when setting up to read your meters with a computer or EKM Push to start simply and add complexity as you go.

Install in this order:

Install 1 meter (in the case of an Omnimeter install the CTs and then the voltage reference lines)
Install the RS485 twisted pair data wire
Make sure that the installation is safe and in a protected location. (Inside an enclosure)
Then power up the meter and make sure it is functioning properly (the values are rolling over in the LCD screen)
Download the EKM Dash Software
Connect the data wire from the EKM Meter to the communication converter you are using (USB, RS232, iSerial) or EKM Push
Enter the proper meter number, meter model, meter name, and communication converter or method you are using.
Try to read your meter
If you are successful in reading your meter, then install a few more meters and connect them to the RS485 wire in a daisy-chain and try those.
If this is successful then add in wireless 485Bees and make sure it still works.

It sounds like you may be trying to power the 485Bee with the USB converter. I would not recommend that you do this. I would power the 485Bee with a 12VDC power source (a 12VDC wall wart works well for this, the 485Bee can handle from 6 to 42 VDC). If this is still not working, please send us a photo of your installation (meter side and RS485 converter side, and some screenshots of your settings in the EKM Dash)

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com