I cannot get the iSerial to communicate with OmniPulse v4

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
pvanmastrigt

I cannot get the iSerial to communicate with OmniPulse v4

Post by pvanmastrigt »

The problem seems to be one of persistent non-communication. Error shown in the Dash software: "No response – Check RS485 connections and Meter Number"

I have tried just about everything:

1.) Connection made with only a very short twisted pair cable
2.) With and without separate ground wire
3.) Using terminal 2, 3 and 4 for RS485- wire on the iSerial
4.) Different communication settings in the iSerial: 7 and 8 character bits, 1200 and 9600 baut
5.) Tried to discover the Meter Number (as explained in this forum) - no luck, so using the engraved number shown on the meter.
6.) Verification of proper communication from computer to iSerial: When I change e.g. the port number under TCP in the iSerial from 5000 to anything else, the error message changes so I am pretty sure that the iSerial is talking correctly to my computer.

Appreciate any suggestions you may have!

With regards, Piet
Last edited by pvanmastrigt on Sun May 26, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jameson

Re: I cannot get the iSerial to communicate with OmniPulse v

Post by Jameson »

Piet,

As we have asked you in our correspondence via email, please send us a photograph of your installation. We would very much like to see how you have the twisted-pair RS-485 wires connected to the meters and to the iSerial. Please send a digital photo or a camera phone photo to our email.

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello Jameson,

Sent as requested under separate cover.

With regards,

ps: I did not get a request for a photo (but I did get another request from Seth - to send screen dumps of software set-up and error message - also sent under separate cover.

Piet
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Piet,

Thank you for the photos via email. :D

Assuming all of your connections are tight and you have good electrical contact with the RS-485 wire to the terminal blocks, I think you should be fine in this regard. I assume you will power up the meter to try communications (the photo is of an unpowered meter).

We spotted one potential issue with your iSerial settings. A screenshot of your settings are inline below.

The setting for Telnet Server (under the TCP section) is set to "Disable", please set this to "Server".
Screen shot 2013-05-27 at 6.43.51 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-05-27 at 6.43.51 PM.png (49.8 KiB) Viewed 9181 times
We also have "Client Mode Inactive Timeout" set to 20 minutes and "Server Mode Protect Timeout" set to 60 minutes. I do not know what would happen if you set these to "0" as you have done.

Let us know if this fixes the issue.

Best regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
pvanmastrigt

Post by pvanmastrigt »

Hello Jameson,

Thanks - setting the telnet to server solved the issue. Great!

With regards,