Help troubleshooting - one phase much lower

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
nycentral13

Help troubleshooting - one phase much lower

Post by nycentral13 »

Hi EKM,

I am running the Omnimeter 4.0 into the iSerial. It is connected and working and I can see my measurements through the Dash software, but I am having a problem with one phase. It is reading much lower than expected and lower when compared to a Fluke ammeter. Voltage, frequency and other readings all seem accurate, except for this amperage on phase 1. I have the EKM purchased 400 amp 26.2ma split ring CT rings (they had the bigger 1.25" hole) around a pair of 3/0 mains for each leg. They are all reading "Forward" and the arrows look to be in the direction of flow. I tested the phase 1 CT ring by moving it to phase 2 of the meter and it was reading correctly, so I don't believe it is the CT ring itself. The CT ring settings in the Dash software are toggled for the 400a 26.2 rings.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
P66meter.jpg
P66meter.jpg (110.4 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
Jameson

Re: Help troubleshooting - one phase much lower

Post by Jameson »

Hello Eric,

The first thing I would look at is if your Split-Core CT is shut tightly. You should be able to clamp the Split Core CT around the wire and then pinch it hard until you hear a "click!" and the two pins attached to the closure hooks pop out. After this it is best if you can securely hold the CT shut with a zip-tie for extra measure.

The other thing I would check is to make sure the Black and White wires from the CT have good contact with the CT inputs of your meter.

It is possible to have a lot less amperage on one of the phases of a 3-phase 4-wire system. You might have a lot of equipment on Line2 and Line3 and not as much on Line1 for example. However, you said that you checked the amperage of Line1 with your Fluke meter. What is the expected amperage compared to what you are getting with the Omnimeter Pulse v.4?

Thanks for the info and the screenshot :D

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
nycentral13

Post by nycentral13 »

Hi Jameson,

We checked all the contacts and they are solid and connected as well as the snapped CT rings. The expected reading on phase 1 (CT ring connection 1 & 2) is 4 times lower than it should be as measured by two other ammeters. We measured 180 amps on the other meters but only 45 amps on the EKM meter. The 45 amp reading on the EKM fluctuates slightly - it is not a static reading. It is almost as if the meter is dividing the real amperage by 4. Voltage and other parameter of Phase 1 are reading fine as Phases 2 and 3 are reading correctly on all parameters.

I moved the accurately reading ring #2 to CT ring connection points 1 and 2 on the Omnimeter and I get the same reduced reading. So that tells me that the wiring and CT rings are good, but there is something wrong in the Omnimeter.

How can I get you this back to do an "in shop" diagnosis?

Kind thanks,

Eric
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Eric,

I just want to double check that you are using all of the same model of CT. What is the CT model of all 3 CTs? What is the CT ratio setting on your meter?

Please email us directly and we will arrange to get the meter and CTs back from you for diagnosis.

Thanks, we will get you all sorted out :geek:
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
nycentral13

Post by nycentral13 »

Thanks Jameson. I just wanted to send an note on the final outcome on this. My meter was somehow faulty and it was quickly swapped out for a new one. I know it was a new one as the serial number was changed. I got my new meter and got it installed. And it is finally running on all cylinders (ie. channels!).

Thanks for your help and your attentiveness to this forum. I wish all companies had this level of involvement with the end users.

Eric