Data value Limits

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
miquel

Data value Limits

Post by miquel »

Hi
My question is: What happens when a Omnimeter I v.3 value, for example 8Bytes Total kWh, reach it's limit?
I know that is a very long value, but I have to know in order to develop the software and to be reliable for big production plants and for lot of years.
So, what happens when Total KWh reach 9.999.999,9 ?

Thanks
Jameson

Re: Data value Limits

Post by Jameson »

Hello Miquel,

If an Omnimeter were to measure 9,999,999.9 kwh (this is very roughly 2 million dollars worth of electricity) it would roll over to zero and keep going. If you are thinking you are going to install in this kind of a situation, you can consider using our Omnimeter Pulse v.4. This meter uses a decimal place that shifts for larger CT ratios. So if you were to use 3000 amp CTs (0 decimal places in the kWh values, this is a value that is reported in the v.4 return string) for example, you would have a maximum kwh measurement of 99,999,999 kWh.

Please let us know if you have any questions,

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
miquel

Re: Data value Limits

Post by miquel »

Thanks for your response.
I don't think I can reach easily this value, but, as I'm just in beta version of the software, I'd like to design it the best way.

Thanks