EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 - Pulse Counter Problem

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
Jameson

Re: EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 - Pulse Counter Problem

Post by Jameson »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the Hex data dump from v4 meter running firmware 17 (10 24 17).

We have double checked out the TOU on this firmware and have found it works well as far as entering and leaving weekends and holidays, accumulating kWh in the proper TOU kWh bucket, keeping the proper TOU bucket through a power cycle, and the "T" indicator on the LCD face matches the TOU bucket that is accumulating.

So, the first thing to check, and this may be the entire issue (we did not realize it because in our testing we always had this enabled), is that you have a Season selected (without this the meter weekend/holiday TOU does not work properly). If you dont have a season selected I would just put in January 1st. I think we will fix this by forcing a season when you have weekend TOU enabled in the EKM Dash.

Here is a screenshot showing January 1st enabled in the "Seasons"
Screenshot 2014-11-17 10.04.18.png
Screenshot 2014-11-17 10.04.18.png (76.02 KiB) Viewed 17379 times
Let us know if you already had the seasons enabled. Thanks!
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Hi Jameson,

Yes the "Season" was set as per your screenshot, the weekend rates were set, all the TOU settings were displaying correctly as they were set (TOU, Seasons, Holidays & Schedules) but the energy was accumulating to the T2 register at a time when it should have been accumulating to the T1 register, like I pointed out in my earlier post the TOU had worked flawlessly since the firmware update up to this point.

The anomaly where TOU changed from the T1 bucket to the T2 bucket in the middle of the afternoon only occurred after the power failure I described whilst there was solar generation.

TOU Setting Times

T1 = 7am to 11pm
T2 = 11pm to 7am and all weekend

Gary
Last edited by BlueHornet on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Dang, back to the drawing board.
Thanks Gary,
Jameson
EKM METERING
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

:? It seems like my problems occurs when I induce a power failure to test the automatic transfer switch on my standby generator system.
In the two tests I have made sense the firmware 18 change has been one Ok and One fail. I have moved a computer out to the v4 location (Small barn). I have installed a plug in port, so I can monitor the v4 while testing. I have converted an old telephone dial to get a source of pulses and will be able to check if the v4 fails to count, and if so when. (switching to gen power or switching back to utility power.)

I will be testing the system in the next day or so (18 th or 20th)

In the meantime I am installing a double pole switch to enable me to recycle the v4 with out having to work inside live panel with both hands. Inline fuse holders like those recommended by EKM require both hand to disconnect and reconnect. Killing the power is a pain requiring resetting house hold equipment.

I will keep you posted.

Bill.

PS It is not unusual for us to have power hits (momentary power interrupts up here in the north woods)
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

More Info
Extensive tests on 11/26/14 shows that:
1. Firmware version v18 does NOT cure the v4 pulse problem.
2. The v4 pulse failure is caused by a short interruption of the EKM’s incoming power. The installation of the toggle switch mentioned in my previous post (11/17/14) made it easy to confirm this fact. If I turn the EKM’s power off and back on again as quickly as possible the pulse counter will fail each and every time. The change of state of the main contactors on the transfer switch causes this problem due to the break, before make configuration (required by code). During my tests the contactors are operated twice (transfer and retransfer). Affectedly giving the EKM two power hits during the test.
Note: I suspected this early on. See post 7/26/14 this thread.

During a normal power failure and generator transfer, this problem (Pulse count fail) does not occur due to the time required to start the generator and bring it up to speed. (Several minutes). The EKM will be off for several minutes, depending if I have it set to auto start or manual start. The problem does occur when we get a momentary power hit. Not uncommon here in the mountains and forest. What concerns me the most however is the apparent collateral damage to the data this event seems to cause. In my case the loss of my password , which happened last April and the reassignment of KWH categories reported in July.

The Test (so you verify the above.)
A. Install a double pole switch in series with the EKM’s voltage (L1 & L2) source.
B. Bring up Dash on the computer.
C. Feed pulses to one of the counter inputs.
D. Verify that the pulse counter is incrementing.
E. Operate the switch quickly (Off/On).
F. Verify that the pulse counter has stopped working.
My tests show a loss of power as long as 1 & ½ seconds will cause a failure to increment.
Minimum amount of power off time needed to cause a recycle ? This would be interesting to discover.

Note: Tests were made only on one meter, v4 –233. I hesitate to test the other unit that I have (v4-154). I don’t want to take the chance of losing my password on this one. Therefore I cannot say for certain that all, or most, or some, behave like v4-233.

BTW are you sure the v3 doesn’t a similar problem? I remember that my original v3 started to count KWH at 10x faster than my utility. You might want to do the following test just for chuckles.
1. Install 2 units in parallel.
2. Add the switch per above, to one unit.
3. Load up the TOU registers etc. the same on both units.
4. Cause the synthetic power hit.
5. Check for any anomaly’s between the two units.

12/3/14
More tests
Power loss > 2 sec does not cause a loss of pulse count.

RSVP
Bill
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks Bill,

Still at the drawing board for this Pulse Lockup issue with a v4 power cycle. We thought we had it cornered in the fw18 release that you have, but sounds like we don't. Can you get it to happen with a single ON then OFF? Before (when we were testing) we had to do about 20 ONs and OFFs in a pattern to get the lockup to happen.

Oh, and be sure you have the seasons set like I posted 4 comments above in this thread (unrelated issue fix).

Thanks for your help and patience.
Jameson
EKM METERING
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

Like I said each and every time, if power is interrupted < 2 seconds. Unit will fail.
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

Any progress on this issue ?
Getting real interested in the push 2 box. Do I need pass word to set it up ?
I have about 200' of 485 line to get signal to my modem/router. Any problem ?
This pulse problem has wiped out my password and mess up my data. I have never changed my pw on the V4's
I know you say it can't be recovered but Not my fault. Change ckt board ? Exchange meter ?

Bill
PS had a power fail a few weeks back no problem with the Ekm box.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hey Bill,

We sent you an email on the 22nd seeing if you would like us to ship you a meter prototype to try on your system. Sounds like you did not get it. I will send it again in a moment.

You do not need a meter password for the Push system to work (as it stands now). In the future when we have meter settings via the Push system, a meter password will be needed in order for the settings to work.

200 feet of RS485 data should not be a problem at all, you should be able to have up to 4000 feet of RS485 twisted pair wire (though at this distance I would use shielded twisted pair and keep it away from 120/240 volt AC noise as much as possible.)

Thanks for your help.
Jameson
EKM METERING
whansen

Post by whansen »

Hello all,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I seem to be experiencing the same problem. We are using several Omnimeter v.4 devices to monitor the pulse output from water meters. We have seen a few devices which seem to stop recording pulses. Sometimes it's just for one of the two pulse counters (we only use two) and sometimes it's for all of them.

In our situation it could easily be a power issue. It seems that resetting the EK meter helps, although sometimes we need to reset it multiple times.

Have there been any further firmware upgrades? I could send the devices back, but would want to try to do them all at once.

I know this has been asked already but is there any chance of getting a reset command built into the device? If i could periodically send that, I think I'd be back in business no problem.

Thanks,
Will