How do I best set up the Time-of-Use options?

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
Karl

Re: How do I best set up the Time-of-Use options?

Post by Karl »

Jameson wrote:<...> v.3 meters <...> Max Demand needs to be reset using the EKM Dash.The v.4 meter however does have this as an option, you can set it to reset Max Demand either Hourly, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
Thanks, Jameson, for the clear Max Demand statement. The Dash setup menu option led me to believe the v.3 meter had this option, too.

Greetings, -- Karl
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

So I have conducted further testing regarding the weekend schedule and whilst I am correct in saying that the a Season needs to be set in order for the weekend schedule to take effect and apply the correct TOU to the weekend period I have discovered another problem for which I do not seem to be able to find a solution for.

Now after applying a start date to Season 1, the weekend schedules were activated correctly on Saturday morning at 7.00am and the correct TOU register (TOU2) was being incremented, this continued to operate correctly for the whole of Saturday and Sunday without issue. On Monday prior to 7am the correct TOU was again still being applied (TOU2) now that the weekend was over the weekend schedule (Schedule 2) should have technically deactivated at midnight on Sunday and the weekday schedule (Schedule 1) should have been activated, however at 7.00am Monday morning when the Schedule 1 should really have changed the TOU to T1 it continued to operate as a T2 TOU, same at 7.30am still incrementing kWh to T2 when in fact it should have been incrementing to T1 as per Schedule 1.

Some further testing has revealed that whilst the weekend schedules will start correctly on Saturday at 00:00hrs they are not finishing on Sunday at 24:00 as they should and are continuing to operate as a Schedule 2 on Monday when the Schedule 1 should have overridden the weekend schedule.

I have tried several scenarios with Schedule 2 all of which have proved fruitless

Where do we go from here?
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

BlueHornet wrote:Where do we go from here?
Yes, where do we go from here, I am having the same issues with the V4 I have.

I have a question, if weekend tariff is set using one of the schedules (1) with tou set with tariff 1 beginning 12:00 midnight, how does the meter know when the week day tariffs begin, I assume that it would be 12:00 midnight on Sunday, is this correct.

If I have setup Schedule 1, Tariff 1 begining 7:00am and Tariff 2 beginning 11:00pm then one would assume that the week day shedule (1) would work correctly between Monday (begining midnight Sunday) and Friday (midnight), is this correct?

At midnight Friday, the weekend Schedule (2) should kick in is this correct? If so which Schedule takes over for the hours from 1 second past midnight Sunday to 7:00am Monday?

How does the meter know the beginning and end time of this 7 hour period?

I purchased the meter on the assumption that the accumulation of kWh's would be recorded in the TOU registers, 1,2,3,4 allowing me to calclate what each tariff period is costing me, how can I do this if the TOU's are not being accunulated correctly?

Cheers Jay.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Gary,

To sum up, it sounds like you are wondering what happens to the meter from Midnight on Sunday to 7:00 AM on Monday. You want this time period to accumulate in TOU1 but it is accumulating in TOU2. Is this correct?

Or if I read it a different way, you are concerned on Monday morning at 7:30 AM that the TOU is incrementing in TOU 2 when it should be incrementing in TOU 1. Is this correct? If so, does this issue continue on until Tuesday?

What meter model are you using? Is your meter clock set to your local time? Are you able to send us the data that shows the issue you are seeing via .csv file?

Thanks for your help,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Jay,

Can you post screenshots of your settings? Do you have the weekend schedule turned on? If you do not have weekends turned on as a schedule I think the meter assumes that there is not a difference in the weekend Tariff (treats all days of the week the same).

One troubleshooting tip to know which Tariff you are in would be to look at the meter face. There is a small black circle that says "T1", this indicates the meter is currently in "Tariff 1". See attached.
Screenshot 2014-08-11 17.05.50.png
Screenshot 2014-08-11 17.05.50.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 12623 times
Thanks for your help,
Jameson
EKM METERING
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Jameson wrote:Hello Gary,
To sum up, it sounds like you are wondering what happens to the meter from Midnight on Sunday to 7:00 AM on Monday. You want this time period to accumulate in TOU1 but it is accumulating in TOU2. Is this correct?
Correct, If you refer back to the previous screen shots and Schedule settings (that you requested screen shots for) that I use you will see what I am requiring the TOU registers to do.
Or if I read it a different way, you are concerned on Monday morning at 7:30 AM that the TOU is incrementing in TOU 2 when it should be incrementing in TOU 1. Is this correct?
Correct, The reference to 7.30am Monday is only to indicate that although the TOU register did not change correctly at the allocated 7.00am TOU1 change over time, it still had not changed at 7.30am
If so, does this issue continue on until Tuesday?
Yes
What meter model are you using?
This is happening on Pulse V4 but a check on my V3 meter indicated that it also happens on V3
Is your meter clock set to your local time?

The meter is set correctly! It changed over to the weekend tariff TOU2 correctly when it should have, it continued to operate in TOU2 tariff all weekend, but now continues to work in the TOU 2 during weekdays where it should be allocating to TOU1 & TOU2 at the respective times as per Schedule 1

Are you able to send us the data that shows the issue you are seeing via .csv file?

I will set it all up again and log the data, when I have completed that I will send you the data
BUT again I cannot see what that will help with, I am still awaiting a response from you regarding the screen shots that you requested last week.
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Jameson wrote:Can you post screenshots of your settings?
Screen Shots are not going to help you, I have set weekends to Schedule 2 tariff 1, beginning 2300 t0 7:00am, Weekday Schedule 1 Tariff 1 beginning 7:00am and Tariff 2 beginning 2300.

So for the hours 7:00am Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Tariff 1 of Schedule 1 applies, From 2300 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, Tariff 2 of Schedule 1 applies.

Logic tells me that from 2300 Friday to 00:00 (change to Saturday) Tariff 2 of Schedule 1 applies. From 00:00 hour Saturday, Tariff 1 of Schedule 2 (Weekend) should take over which it does BUT there seems to be an issue with the meter knowing when to switch to the 7:00am tariff (schedule 1, tariff 1) on Monday.
Jameson wrote: There is a small black circle that says "T1", this indicates the meter is currently in "Tariff 1".
Yes there is and I am aware of this, when the meter display shows "T2" when it should be showing "T1" then the problem is not with how I have set the schedules for weekday and weekend tariffs which by your own examples in the other posts, I have done these correctly, unless of course there is something else you have not mentioned needs to be done.

To reiterate,

1 - I have set shedule 1 t1 and t2 to the time inyterval required for week day tariffs.
2 - I have set schedule 2 t1 to tariff needed for weekend tariffs.
3 - I have set meter indicating which weekend schedule to use.

Is there anything more than this to set?
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Now here is a suggestion, why can't you set up a couple of your test meters with the Schedules as per the tariffs that I am trying to set (Tariffs are contained in several of my previous posts) and see what the outcome is first hand.

I am happy to concede that I may have set the Schedules incorrectly and if so just looking for a solution on how to set the Schedules correctly to allocate the kWh used to the correct TOU registers at the appropriate times.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Gary,

Is your meter now just stuck in Tariff 2? Does it ever go back to T1?

Thanks in advance for sending us the .csv file.

JayDee,
when the meter display shows "T2" when it should be showing "T1"
Thanks for this, I am trying to determine if the meter is interpreting it's settings correctly. We are still trying to suss out if the issue is with how the Dash software sets the Tariffs or if it is how the meter interprets the settings.
Is there anything more than this to set?
Not as far as I can tell from here. The settings you have used sound good to me.
Jameson
EKM METERING
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Gary,

Is your meter now just stuck in Tariff 2? Does it ever go back to T1?
Hi Jameson,

It does appear that now after the weekend Schedules (Schedule 2) were applied that it is in fact "stuck" for want of a better word in the T2 TOU Tariff.