where to set rates/tariffs?

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
phillipkopp

where to set rates/tariffs?

Post by phillipkopp »

I've got where to setup the calendar and TOU, but where can we associate a $$ value to the rate?

There doesn't seem to be any function in DASH using a direct (RS485 or PUSH) connection or in encompass to be able to assign a rate to a particular period? Am I missing something?

Also, our tariff structure is not based on TOU but baseline usage. In order to accurately measure energy costs would need to be able to set:

a) the monthly billing period start date
b) the baseline rate
c) the incremental rate based on usage over baseline (i.e. 120%, 150%, 200% etc...)

These would all be good features to incorporate into encompass as well as DASH so that it doesn't have to be calculated out in an excel spreadsheet manually.
BlueHornet

Re: where to set rates/tariffs?

Post by BlueHornet »

phillipkopp wrote:Also, our tariff structure is not based on TOU but baseline usage. In order to accurately measure energy costs would need to be able to set:

a) the monthly billing period start date
b) the baseline rate
c) the incremental rate based on usage over baseline (i.e. 120%, 150%, 200% etc...)
That is an interesting Tariff structure I have never seen or heard of before, do you mind me asking where this is applicable and if you have a link to electrical retailer that has this structure. I'm interested to see what and how they determine the baseline and then charge for the % used above the baseline.

This would not happen to be along the lines of being charged for kVah would it?

Edit:
OK I found a retailer/distributor using this system in CA, USA - PG&E who only introduced this system on August 1, 2014 - Makes for very interesting reading and certainly looks like it heavily penalizes heavy consumers.
Certainly interesting to read the whole structure as I'm sure Australian retailers & distributors will be looking at this model with great anticipation.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

BlueHornet,

Yes that is correct, here in California (PG&E) residential rates (I think it is only residential, but I could be wrong) are "Tiered". We pay a fairly low rate for your first allotment of kWh and then as you use more and more power you start to get into some very expensive kWh.

I tried to find the rate for Rate 5 but came up empty handed. I have heard of Tier 5 rates of over 40 cents per kWh, it is not even on this chart:
http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergy ... index.page

Pop quiz: Who and what is in Baseline Area Q (I dont know the answer but it is a mysterious dot near Santa Cruz)
http://www.pge.com/baseline/#

Tiered rates make investing in solar PV generation very attractive in California, if you can generate enough power to bump yourself down from Rate 5 to Rate 3. I have heard of solar paying for itself in less than a year in these cases.

PhillipKopp,

At this point we do not get into Tiered or TOU $ amounts (the only $ amount we get into is a flat per kWh rate you can set in encompass.io). We aim to give you enough information (kWh and meter calculated TOU kWh) to easily calculate this yourself for your given situation. For one thing as we have seen, there are myriad ways that utilities around the world slap on these Tariffs (with weekends and holidays), fees, demand charges, etc., keeping them all straight would be quite a challenge. We will probably steer clear of adding a $ figure until we get it more dialed in.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
phillipkopp

Post by phillipkopp »

Yes this is CA for you. Get ready because there are more huge changes coming soon. Our problem is we have TOO MUCH solar, especially when sun is bright and temps are cool (check out CA ISO app, very cool), kind of like Texas used to have too much wind (demand caught up with supply finally). The tiered rate is obviously designed to drive efficiency but doesn't help the load shape too much. I heard last week that there are already talks to revamp the whole thing again now.

Thanks for your help Jameson. Nice product already. I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

BTW. Baseline is set from time to time. It also changes if you have an electric car, solar PV, medical equipment needs etc... The CA rate structure is ridiculously complicated.
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Jameson wrote:I tried to find the rate for Rate 5 but came up empty handed. I have heard of Tier 5 rates of over 40 cents per kWh, it is not even on this chart:
http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergy ... index.page
If you mouse over the tier bar graph to the right you get a "Tip" pop up with the following info"

"Tier pricing starts low each billing period at about 13 cents per kilowatt hour, then increases slightly to 15 cents for initial usage over your base allocation. Beyond that the price increases sharply to 32 cents per kilowatt hour, then to 36 cents for very high usage."

Which is somewhat different to the values shown within the bar graph!

According to this page (http://www.pge.com/myhome/customerservi ... nderstand/#) Tier 5 is for amounts in excess of 300% over the Baseline Allocation but I can't see a value for Tier 5 unless it is the the 36 cents quoted in the "Tip" but who is to say as the values between the two do not correspond.

5-Tier Rate Structure for Electric Use
Tier # Description
Tier 1 Up to the Baseline amount
Tier 2 Electricity usage from 101% to 130% of Baseline
Tier 3 Electricity usage from 131% to 200% of Baseline
Tier 4 Electricity usage from 201% to 300% of Baseline
Tier 5 Electricity usage in excess of 300% of Baseline

EDIT:
There is additional information regarding applicable Tier structure rates in the tariff schedules applicable to your situation on this page: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/ERS.SHTML#ERS
Last edited by BlueHornet on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

PHILLIPKOPP wrote:BTW. Baseline is set from time to time. It also changes if you have an electric car, solar PV, medical equipment needs etc... The CA rate structure is ridiculously complicated.
Ridiculously complicated is an understatement, have you seen the list of tariff schedules here: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/ERS.SHTML#ERS

Obviously designed to confuse!

I can see an advisory/consulting industry developing where the sole purpose will be one on one energy usage analysis and then matching clients to the most appropriate tariff, this may be necessary on a seasonal basis.
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Jameson wrote:Pop quiz: Who and what is in Baseline Area Q (I dont know the answer but it is a mysterious dot near Santa Cruz)
http://www.pge.com/baseline/#
Just post my Pop Quiz Omnimeter V4 Prize in the mail:

SANTA CRUZ Under 1,500' is Baseline Area "T"
SANTA CRUZ 1,500' and over is Baseline Area "Q" (Santa Cruz Mountains)

SAN MATEO COUNTY (Q and T portions)
Beginning at a point at the intersection of the shoreline of the Pacific Ocean and the northerly boundary of San Mateo County; then easterly along said county line to the shoreline of San Francisco Bay; then southerly along said shoreline to a point on the northerly boundary of San Francisco International Airport; then westerly to the centerline of Highway 101: then southerly to the centerline of Interstate 380; then westerly to the centerline of Interstate 280; then southerly along said centerline to the Skyline Boulevard exit south of Interstate 280; then southerly along said centerline to the Skyline Boulevard exit south of Crystal Springs Road in the City of San Mateo; then southerly, westerly and southerly along the centerline of Skyline Boulevard (but including residences on the east side that front on Skyline Boulevard) to a point on the southern boundary of San Mateo County; then westerly along said county line to the shoreline of the Pacific Ocean; then northerly along said shoreline to the point of beginning.
Baseline Area "Q" is the area within the above boundaries at or above 1,500' elevation.
Baseline Area "T" is the area within the above boundaries and below 1,500' elevation.