problem with rs485 USB converter

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
phillipkopp

problem with rs485 USB converter

Post by phillipkopp »

I am trying to read my new meter using the RS485 to USB converter on my DASH software. It doesnt seem to want to connect. I have checked and recheked everything three times. The drivers are installed, the wires are correct etc... I have tried to use both available ports. Nothing seems to work.

When I first plug in the dongle it flashes purple quickly twice. After that its blank, no red blips and nothing really.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
phillipkopp

Re: problem with rs485 USB converter

Post by phillipkopp »

seems to be working now! dont know what happened....
davidkent

Post by davidkent »

I have spent hours trying to make the RS485 converter work, and gave up bought one off the internet (Radio Shack) and use a usb to rs232 and to a rs 232 to rs 485 using a lap top. All of my work is rural with no internet access. I was under the impression the converter I bought was plug and play , after 150 mile drive to a radio shack got all the stuff and things seem to be working.
My next problem is I took me a while to figure out why my meter readings were not correct , I've found out that the meter does not come preset with the ct's you have ordered and have to be set up(in my case any way). So now I don't leave home with out my lap top!! The meters I used in the past were programmable from the front screen. This is a nice little meter and the price is great but I've found the documentation to be a little light when it come to set, and you MUST be internet connected if your going to install one of these in the middle of no where. The bottom line if your doing this for a living set this meter up in the shop before you drive 50 miles out in the country.

As for the flashing lights I've never figured them out. I even went to the trouble of hooking a scope up, again little documentation.

Dave
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hi Dave, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the USB converter. It should be fairly simple.

When you are having trouble, we can be more helpful (and you can resolve the issue quicker) if you tell us how you have it connected (or better yet, send photos) and how you have your EKM Dash setup (screenshots) vs. just saying it doesn't work.

If you are seeing flashing on the USB converter itself, this is a good sign. It means your computer is talking to the USB converter. The blue flash is for "Meter Request" the red flash is for "Meter Response" are you seeing one or both of these colors?

If you can show us a screenshot of how you have your Dash Meter Setup Window configured, that would be great. Also photos of the twisted pair wires entering the USB converter and entering the meter would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com