Logging Data

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
marc

Logging Data

Post by marc »

Hello EKM Forum,

I have a couple of questions. I have several EKM water meters going to a few EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4, then to a "EKM Blink - RS-485 to USB Converter" and then to the computer running Dash. I want to be able to receive the daily e-mails from Dash reporting the water use and also I want to know the monthly water use.

1. I am only at the site with the water meters and computer once or twice a month. I tried to keep the computer and Dash both running so that it can get the pulse counts and send the e-mail. But the computer will sometimes reboot for reasons such as the power going off or because of a software update. I will know that something went wrong when I stop receiving the daily e-mail. If the computer reboots it would need a person on site to re-start Dash and to tell it to start reading data. However, it might take several weeks before I can get over to restart everything. Will I loose all that meter data during the time Dash is not running? Or is it stored in the Omnimeter or the water meters?

2. Dash has a display of monthly water use going back several months. Does this information come from the pulses logged by the Dash software? Or does it come directly from the water meters or Omnimeter somehow? What if the Dash software is not running during the beginning and end of a month? Will the monthly water usage display still be accurate? Is there a way to e-mail the monthly water usage display rather than just the pulse count that I have e-mailed by Dash now?

Thanks!

- marc
Jameson

Re: Logging Data

Post by Jameson »

Hello Marc,

What you will really want is to have an EKM Push reading your v4 meters and sending your data to your EKM Push cloud account. This way you wont have to have a computer running at the remote site. We are soft rolling out the next generation of the EKM Push as we speak.

If you still would like to get your EKM Dash to start when your computer re-boots you should be able to do this if you are on a Mac or on a Windows PC. I would google the term "startup programs windows and mac". When your EKM Dash starts it will continue to read your meters after about 30 seconds (provided that this is what it was set to do when it quit)

For now, in order to know exactly how much water was consumed month to month, the Dash must be running to log this meter data (on the last day of the month). In your case the minimum you will need to run your EKM Dash would be once a month to gather this data. In the future you will be able to get all of this data with the EKM Push system. You wont have to run the Dash periodically, we will store this data for you in your EKM Push account.
Is there a way to e-mail the monthly water usage display rather than just the pulse count that I have e-mailed by Dash now?
I would play around with the "Reports Email". You can customize the report email by clicking on "Email Options..." See the attached.
Screenshot 2014-11-02 14.22.20.png
Screenshot 2014-11-02 14.22.20.png (380.82 KiB) Viewed 8264 times
You can see how I have chosen Pulse 1 Converted. Im my case it will report as "Gallons" because this is what I have named the Pulse 1 converted value. You can setup the Converted value to be anything you want such as liters, cubic feet of gas, cubic feet of water, car count, Number of People Walking By, etc.

Hope this helps.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Jameson,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try them. And I am urgently waiting for the EKM Push to be released.

- marc
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks marc,

Send us an email, we can set up your EKM Push to work with your v4 meter now. (it is just not officially available on our website)

Thanks
Jameson
EKM METERING
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

The Push to v.4 is now officially released!!!!!!

You can now connect your EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 meters to your EKM Push and get your electricity, water, and gas meter data sent to your EKM Push account.

Here is more information: http://www.ekmmetering.com/meter-data

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING