Blinking red diode

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
NiceLogger

Blinking red diode

Post by NiceLogger »

My omnimeters red indikator diode on the front is blinking - what does this mean?

Were can I read about stuff like this in your support center?

Do you have a full user manual anywere?

I am using EKM-Onimeter I v.3
20150508_094159 2.jpg
20150508_094159 2.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
BlueHornet

Re: Blinking red diode

Post by BlueHornet »

The blinking light is basically an indicator that alerts you that you are either importing or exporting energy.

It could also be used to automate the process of counting the LED flashes, and/or if you have experience with using micro-controllers such as PICAXE, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc..... and want to either log the flash rate for analysis or use the rate to make immediate decisions about whether to turn on appliances, then a simple light dependent resistor (LDR light detector) can be used. However it's doubtful that you would want to this with type of meter as it already provides you with all the necessary data you would normally require.

So for every 1 kWh (some retailers and distributors are now calling this a UNIT) of energy that you import or export the LED will flash 800 times.. 800 Imp/kWh = 800 Impulses per Kilowatt Hour. Other kWh meters may have a totally different Imp/kWh ratio such as 1000 Imp/kWh, 600 Imp/kWh, etc....

Now as an example, if the LED flashes once every 5.2 seconds (with a constant import or export load) on a meter labelled 800 Imp/kWh, the power going through the meter at that time will be 3600 / (5.2 * 800) = 0.865 kW.
(Power (kW) = 3600 (secs in 1hr) divided by (the seconds between flashes * number of Imp/kWh printed on meter)

If you want to measure the number of seconds between flashes it is best to start timing on a flash, and then time how long for 10 more flashes. Divide that time by 10 to get the average number of seconds per flash. Obviously this only works if the power is constant - if someone turns on the kettle half way through your time measurement the results will not be entirely accurate.
NiceLogger

Post by NiceLogger »

Thanks for thouroughly answer,

Do you have a full user manual I can download?
BlueHornet

Post by BlueHornet »

Sorry I don't have any additional user manuals different to yours, I have no affiliation with EKM !

If for some reason you didn't receive the original instruction sheet then you could download it here: http://documents.ekmmetering.com/OmniMe ... tering.pdf

Further information and help is located here: http://www.ekmmetering.com/information.html on the EKM website.