EKM Reader Software issues?

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
renovitek

EKM Reader Software issues?

Post by renovitek »

Hi All,

I've got a Omnimeter set up to read a 240v 3ph refrigeration system with 3 200A CTs, all connected per the instructions. I'm trying to use Reader v2 as it's noted to be more stable than v3, using the RS485-to-USB gizmo.

The on-line information ("set up to be able to communicate") does not appear to relate to the software as there's no COM port setup anywhere in File>Preferences as noted in the instructions.

Although I can enter the meter number, click "read one meter" and see the various values, which appear to be correct, I can't change the configuration (set new password, change meter number, change CT ratio, or set the time to the PC's time) or get rid of the 2 meters at EKM that appear in the main window.

Also, one more question - how to offload the logged data? I'm trying to get readings each minute (30 sec. would be better) to see how the refrigeration system is performing. I sure hope that logging does not involve leaving my pc connected...

Any info or leads will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim.
Seth

Re: EKM Reader Software issues?

Post by Seth »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for using our products!
Have you tried version 3 of the software? It is the best choice for most people at this point. The current instructions are tailored to version 3 and the options you are looking for are in that version. ("COM port setup" is the same as "Set up TCP/IP" in the old software.)

Read the info about the software on its product page here:

http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... nload.html

This should answer your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask!

Thanks again.
andycrosse

Post by andycrosse »

to remove the original sample meters, just click on the row and deltete each one.
then the next time you "read all meters" it will remove the other info.

i also am trying to work out how to keep recording the information, as at the moment it does it live and then as soon as the pc goes into sleep it stops recording.

will i need a server? or another bit of kit. theres no chance im sitting in front of a pc for 24hrs moving the cursor to stop it going into sleep mode :lol:

andy
renovitek

Post by renovitek »

Hi Andy,
I'd suggest adjusting you pc's (I'm assuming you're using a PC) power management settings - set the "turn off monitor", "put computer to sleep" to "never" or "always on" and turn off the screensaver in your desktop properties. I've left my notebook running for the past couple of weeks... and my data file's getting pretty big.
Cheers,
Tim.
fbaralli

Post by fbaralli »

Hi,

I'm also having issues with the free v3 version of the software installed on a Windows7 pc. I'm trying to use it to connect to my meter (EKM-OmniMeter I v.3) using a DiGi TS4MEI Port Server which is very similar to your iSerial.
The main problem is that the COM port setup button causes the software to hang. I also noticed that the fonts in the GUI are wrongly size making some of the words unreadable.

I'd like to try the free version before buying the full one to be sure that it properly works with my setup.

Best Regards
Francesco
Seth

Post by Seth »

Francesco,

There are a few issues to be addressed here.

(Just so you know we are currently having the software rewritten so if any of these issues are on the software end they should go away when that happens.)

Since you are not using one of our converters we cannot guarantee that it will work. I have had people using their own third party converters and things did not work until they got one of ours. For your reference, converters are here:

http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... tions.html

Windows 7 has given us issues with a small handful of customers. My Windows 7 laptop had no problem with it...
Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit system?

If you wait a few more seconds does the COM Port Setup rectify itself?

And it's always good to double check - everything is sized correctly on your screen as far as screen settings go?

Have you tried running our software on another computer? This would be helpful to see if you are still having issues.

Thanks,

Seth
fbaralli

Post by fbaralli »

Seth,

thank you for your reply.
I did some more tests and I discovered the following:
  • The software does not hang when clicking on COM Setup but it takes minutes to open the corresponding dialog. This seems to be an issue with Windows7 64bit and some drivers for virtual serial (Arduino IDE has the same problem)
  • I effectively have a problem with my Digi Port Server, it is probably a wiring issue that I'll address ASAP, meanwhile I did a test with a much simpler and cheaper converter and everything seems to be ok
I'll keep you posted on my progresses on that.

Best Regards
Francesco