EKM Not tracking Utility Smart meter

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
Jameson

Re: EKM Not tracking Utility Smart meter

Post by Jameson »

Hi Bill :D

Thank you for trying to go over all possible variables. I think the most expeditious at this point would be to send us the meter (should be here in a day or 2). We will go over it with a fine tooth comb and let you know what we find.

I appreciate your help with this.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

I checked today to see if the line 2 ct got connected to line 1 input. It isn't.

Up untill now now I had regretted paying extra for the open-able cts. Installed them in the output of my transfer switch. Never had a call to move them. If I take the meter out and leave the cts installed I should terminate them with a small value resistor. Your spec sheet showed a burden of 5 ohms. I looked in my SOS (Stash of stuff) box and found a couple of 10 ohm 10 watt resistors. Then I remembered I had to open-able type of cts. No problem. Marked the white wire at the meter with a dab of paint so they would be reinstalled correctly.

I hate those little screws. They are not a good Philips head or a good slot head.
The good thing is you don't move these connections very often.
One or the other I think would be better.

Saw the listing for the new V4. I have always thought that for generator monitoring frequency would be valuable to know. A good indication of engine condition. If the frequency falls off and the output is less then the max rating it would mean the engine wasn't feeling good.
Maybe I should have waited.
If my meter is not fixable you could make me a deal on the V4 that I couldn't refuse.
Will send the meter back Wednesday.

Bill
SolarSentry

Post by SolarSentry »

Nevland wrote: If I take the meter out and leave the cts installed I should terminate them with a small value resistor. Your spec sheet showed a burden of 5 ohms. I looked in my SOS (Stash of stuff) box and found a couple of 10 ohm 10 watt resistors.
For the benefit of others that may need to remove a meter and leave the CT's in place what value resistor should be used to terminate the CT ?
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

SolarSentry,

The ideal way to disconnect your meters from your CTs is to turn off all loads in the Primary Wire (the wire the CT is measuring), so that there is NO current in the Primary Wire. Then simply short the White CT wire to the Black CT wire. You can use a wire nut or an EKM Lever Nut to do this.

You are correct that it is not a good idea to leave your CTs connected while current is flowing in the Primary Wire.

If you must disconnect the EKM Meter from the CTs while the Primary Wire has a substantial amount of current running through it. Turn off as much load as you can (to reduce amps as much as possible). Be careful as the White CT wire and the Black CT wire could produce a harmful shock. Again these CT wires should be shorted as soon as possible when a meter is not connected.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com