V.4 Omimeter and EKM dash

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
davidg

V.4 Omimeter and EKM dash

Post by davidg »

I recently received a V.4 omimeter, installed it, took a little bit to debug the RS485 line, turned to be a couple of the pairs crossed in the wall at one end.
Installed in 3 phase "230/400V" no external pulse connections yet, but still to add a water meter in, wanted this resolved first.

Now I have this all working I do have few questions about the meter, the first and not least is how long does it store data for.
I can't find a mention of it. Which details does it store and for which periods of time.

next questions I have tried to setup the rate 1, 2, 3, 4 does not seem to do anything in the meter the TOU registers only the first 2 are doing anything and they don't appear to able to be changed. The monthly totals that get emailed don't appear to do anything, I don't get it am I doing something wrong?

What does and does not actually work and can be changed with EKM dash?
Surely the software should be able to set all settings in the V.4 device other than the permanent registers.

Thanks.
Jameson

Re: V.4 Omimeter and EKM dash

Post by Jameson »

Hello Davidg,

Welcome to the forum :!:

All of our Omnimeters do not store much on board if you are looking for historical data. If you would like to know the voltage on line 1 for example over a period of time, you will have to poll the meter with your EKM Dash software and store this data on your computer (or in the case of the v.3 Omnimeters, you can use the EKM Push system). Gathering this data on your computer or in a database is the best place to store meter data for the long term (rather than on the meter itself).

However the meter does internally store the last 6 months of once a month kWh data. This is 6 separate data points that are taken from the last day of each month. This is for serial connected (non EKM Push meters only). You can find this data by using the EKM Dash and going to the "Data" tab. This will poll your meter directly and the meter will respond with this data.

You can set up to 4 Time-of-Use Periods in the meter. Think of these as buckets of usage. If one of your time periods is set from 2PM to 5PM any kWh usage you meter between 2PM and 5PM will go in this bucket. So if you make a change to your TOU settings you will have to wait a few days (or at least have kWh usage during this period of time to see any values in your TOU from 2Pm to 5PM.

Both 6 Months data and TOU rates should work using the EKM Dash. To make sure a TOU setting has worked, make the setting change you want, click "Set", then click OK. Then go back to the "Rates" tab to make sure the setting has taken in the meter.

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
davidg

Post by davidg »

Jameson wrote:All of our Omnimeters do not store much on board
Thats fine but still does not answer how long in hours? or days?
Jameson wrote:If you would like to know the voltage on line 1 for example over a period of time, you will have to poll the meter with your EKM Dash software and store this data on your computer
When polling for it what is the longest to be able to get full details or say the second by second data.
Jameson wrote:However the meter does internally store the last 6 months of once a month kWh data. This is 6 separate data points that are taken from the last day of each month.
when do these get updated only on the last day of month? daily, hourly, minute, second? and then roll over
Jameson wrote:You can set up to 4 Time-of-Use Periods in the meter. Think of these as buckets of usage. If one of your time periods is set from 2PM to 5PM any kWh usage you meter between 2PM and 5PM will go in this bucket.
Tried that I have three "rates" and using three schedules, only the first 2 are working the time frames will not change from the default time frames
I set others and yes I have used the set buttons a number of times the setting are apparently stored as they get retrieved from the meter it but it ignores them, not actually using them.
Jameson wrote:Both 6 Months data and TOU rates should work using the EKM Dash. To make sure a TOU setting has worked, make the setting change you want, click "Set", then click OK. Then go back to the "Rates" tab to make sure the setting has taken in the meter.
definitely did this, not reflected in the polling for data currently running 24 x 7 x 10 seconds ay faster and the software crashes within a few hours.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thats fine but still does not answer how long in hours? or days?
The real-time data i.e. volts, amps, and power factor data is updated 2500 times per second. But you can only retrieve this data as often as once per second. If you poll 5 seconds later you will only get the data from 5 seconds later. There is no way to retrieve the last 5 seconds of data without polling the meter every second.
Of course kWh data is stored forever. Max Demand data is stored until the Max Demand is reset. All cumulative values are stored forever.
When polling for it what is the longest to be able to get full details or say the second by second data.
If you want once per second data, you will have to poll the meter once per second.
Tried that I have three "rates" and using three schedules
Please email us a screenshot of your Rates settings. And then also go to Help > Send Diagnostic Information to send us your settings and data. We will take a look at it and let you know what is going on.

We will be releasing an update to the Dash in the "sooner rather than later" category, we have some big stability improvements that should help you out.

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
davidg

Post by davidg »

That would be nice, the software crashes every 2-10 hours if i use poll once per second or 5 second rates
It's fairly stable at 10 seconds poll rate faster than that not so much :(

I'll send the diags tomorrow.
davidg

Post by davidg »

I have tried about 10 times today to get it to send diag data every time it winds up crashing.
The software then terminates, it's downright annoying now. :x
I've sent it all to the info email address because I cannot get it to send through the software.
davidg

Post by davidg »

I've had some feedback from Wattvision, they tell me the following

Hi David, So we think we found the issue. It turns out you're using the EKM Dash software to report data. This software uses our V1 API, which only supports reporting consumption. If you upgrade to the EKM Push device, we believe that should fix the issue, as the EKM push uses our V2 API, which supports net-metering.

Unquote

Of course I can't use a push device ATM, however ............................

Thanks.

Exported power is showing as imported power which drastically distorts the graph making it completely inaccurate.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello davidg,

At this point the Dash is using wattvision API v0.2. But we only send "watt" data to wattvision. We were not aware that they were able to take in "watts with a direction". If they can we will probably upgrade the wattvision API link in a future version of the EKM Dash.

We will get ahold of wattvision to see if this is possible.

Thanks for the heads up.
Jameson
EKM METERING