Multiple wires being used with a single CT?

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
dbterry

Multiple wires being used with a single CT?

Post by dbterry »

I have a question. Can I pass multiple circuit wires through a single CT? My goal is to meter the power going to my fathers casita. On my main breaker panel there are a total of 5 circuits that will have to be metered in order to determine his total energy use. Can I pass all 5 wires through a single CT provided the CT is large enough to accommodate this. I have to capture power that is going to his heater, air conditioner condenser, bathroom plugs, bedroom plugs. Or do these meters handle only a single wire/circuit? I believe I would need the 120/240v 200 amp with split core CT's. I plan on installing the meter on the inside of my garage.
Jameson

Re: Multiple wires being used with a single CT?

Post by Jameson »

Hello dbterry,

You will want to use 2 CTs if you have a 120/240 system (2 hots and a neutral wire in this kind of a system).

You can then pass as many wires through the CT as you can fit, provided that all of the wires are all on the same phase. So CT1 will have all of the hot wires from one of the phases (phase A) going through it, and CT2 will have all of the hot wires from the other phase (phase B) going through it.

You can determine if 2 hot wires on on the same phase by measuring the voltage between them. If you measure 240 volts, they are on different phases, if you measure 0 volts and 120 volts from one of these wires to neutral then they are on the same phase.

I would purchase one of our Omnimeters and 2 CTs that are large enough to fit the wires you need to meter. You will probably also want an indoor enclosure kit and 2 inline fuse holders. Here are the 120/240 volt metering packages: http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... ckage.html

Thanks,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com