Wish List

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
Nevland

Wish List

Post by Nevland »

:idea: EKM Dash Wish List
1. Away to enter the reading from the mechanical counter on water or gas meters.
Software could deduct counter reading and use this as an offset. Software would then add this offset to the updateing pulse count which then could display a value that is in sync with mechanical counter. In the event of a power outage or if the counter stops updating you can detect the error and resync it by entering the current mechanical reading.

2. A way to disable the password for those of us who don’t need it or want it.
Or a way to recover the password,
Meter is severely hobbled if pass word is corrupted.

3. A way to upgrade the firmware in the field via internet download. This would keep meter from becoming obsolete. This would protect the customer’s investment when a new feature are added or errors discovered and corrected.

4. Away to disable the 3rd line input from the Line 1 & 2 totals. This with an additional current xformer then could be used to monitor a single circuit that you might be interested in.

5. A way to eliminate on the dash computer screen the data that you have no interest in or need for. Similar to the LCD display feature.

6. A section of fonts and size for the display.

7. Turn the reading to a different color when a preset limit is reached and exists for a fixed time. Email alert is no help for those of us that do not have their units connected to the internet.

Bill
Jameson

Re: Wish List

Post by Jameson »

Hi Bill!!

Thanks for this list. It shows you have given it quite a lot of thought, we always appreciate this kind of feedback.
1. Away to enter the reading from the mechanical counter on water or gas meters.
Good idea! I could see this being with the EKM Dash "Resettable Count", it would be Resettable Count + x. So for example if you had a gas meter installed for a few years and then wanted to connect a v.4 meter to it, you could "bring the EKM Dash up to speed"
2. A way to disable the password for those of us who don’t need it or want it.
We would have to think about this one. Of course you would need to use the password to disable to the password. Seems like it might cause un-foreseen issues.
3. A way to upgrade the firmware in the field via internet download.
Granted this would be handy, but I dont think it would be a good idea or allowed for revenue grade metering. This would really open you up to a host of issues.
5. A way to eliminate on the dash computer screen the data that you have no interest in or need for.
Yes, good idea. We would like to get to work on the UI portion of the EKM Dash. Right now it is a bit data centric. We would like to improve the "dashboard" section and be able to select only see the data that the user wants to see. Also the graphs we have now are really proof of concept, they could be 100 times better.
6. A section of fonts and size for the display.
Yes, this would also be good. If you could pare down the data you wanted to look at, it would be good to be able to make it larger too. This would probably be part of the UI improvements mentioned above.
7. Turn the reading to a different color when a preset limit is reached and exists for a fixed time. Email alert is no help for those of us that do not have their units connected to the internet.
I like this idea too. I could see this being added to either the "Data I want to see" section or the "Triggers" section. Probably the former would make more sense from a users perspective. We have plenty of Dash users that have computers that are not connected to the internet, but it is a bit of a subset. But thanks for reminding us to keep you in mind. Eventually we would like to make the "Triggers" control your v.4 relay outputs, that way you could either shut some piece of machinery off or you could get your alert with a buzzer or a light.

Again, thanks for all of your requests, we will do our best to implement.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

Re Password
The problem is on one of my meters the password got corrupted on when I recycled the meter after a pulse count failure.
I was thinking of a small jumper on the back side of the meter. Yes I know that's a hardware change. future meters?

Bill
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

I would imagine it would be a firmware change (rather than hardware, which can be a bit of a ball of wax (PCB changes, IO changes, meter case changes, ability to meter seal the pins, etc)). Would still have to think it through, I have noted it. If we went the firmware change route, it seems like it would then be very similar to password "0", which is really no password at all. So with a firmware change to disable password, we would end up pretty close to where we started.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com