EKM Widget and Watt readings

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
Gman34798

EKM Widget and Watt readings

Post by Gman34798 »

I just started up an Onmimeter II v.3 and the Push to upload my data for remote monitoring.
What I've noticed is that I get wattage spikes with no current spikes. The logical explanation is that total wattage is being reported, but only half the
current is being reported. Current, voltage and power factor are only plotted for Line 1, so that my wattage spike is originating from Line 2. Is this correct?
If so, is there a way, or planning to pull readings for total current into the widget?

Also, can the system be set up to sample and upload once per second like the example widget linked to the website? It's hard to pinpoint events
with once per minute sampling.

Thanks all for any input!
Jameson

Re: EKM Widget and Watt readings

Post by Jameson »

Hello,

Yes, you are correct that the widget only shows these values in the graph: Total Watts, Line1 Volts, Line1 Amps, and Line1 Power Factor. So not great if you are curious what is going on on Line2 or Line3 :roll:

We are planning on moving the widget forward (we originally only made it as a way to see what is possible with the EKM Push data). But our customers like it and we would like the ability to add other values to view, as well as the ability to view v.4 meter data.

For now the best way to view what is going on on all lines is to use http://www.encompass.io. With encompass, you can customize the widgets there to show these values on any line.

The EKM Push can be set to read your meters as fast as once per second. However, we have it set to read once per minute for FREE. To read once per second we will have to move 60 times more data so the overhead costs are a lot higher. We dont have a set policy for this, but I can imagine that once per second data will cost in the range of $20 per month, whereas once every 5 to 10 second data would be a few bucks. For now we really only do this for larger customers.

Please let us know how it goes!
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Gman34798

Post by Gman34798 »

Thanks Jameson,
Yes, lots of data to push indeed at one read per second. Could reading and logging locally be a future possibility? Or, even a tiered paid service for a higher read frequency?

Right now I'm glad to have all working, but would very much like to see the ability to read total current over at encompass and the widget. I'll keep watching for updates.

Love the product, and I do believe it has a LOT of potential!

Thanks again!
Greg
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Greg,

Reading and logging locally is an option now, but you need a computer to be running the EKM Dash to do this. With this arrangement you do have the ability to read at once per second if you choose to, but you do not have some of the advantages of the EKM Push system.

Advantages of Push system:

Access your data from any computer or smartphone in the world
Use of the widget and encompass.io from any computer in the world
Dont need to run a computer with EKM Dash to log your data
More scaleable and easier to install
Potential of cloud based triggers

But to answer your question, yes I can see that there will be demand for a tiered system where you could sign up for faster meter read frequencies. We still dont really want to make big profit on delivering this data to you (we use the data to make our meters more attractive), but would have to dial in a bit better what our costs would be to deliver more data to you.

Thanks for the encompass ideas. Right now I could see adding a "calculated value", dont hold me to this because I dont know what it would take to implement. But you could have "calculated value" = amps line1 + amps line2, and someone else could have watts line1 - watts line3, or volts line1 + volts line2.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming :)
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com