10 amp current transformer

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to electric meters, ours or others.
twinkelbel

10 amp current transformer

Post by twinkelbel »

Hello,
I want to monitor the power consumption from my 3 heatpumps, they are 230V 1,6Kw +/- 6Amp each.
I want to use one 3 phase meter and connect each heatpump to one phase.
The smallest current transformer is 100Amp and i think with the max current i draw (6Amp) at each phase it will not be verry accurate, especially low currents when the pump takes 1 Amp on low power .
I can put the wire 5 times like a coil through the currenttransformer to get 5:1 but in the software i cannot go lower then 100Amp.....why?
Would be good if we could give the software our own currenttransformer scale,then we can use it for all power range
Is there a way to solve this?

Regards,
Robert
Seth

3 phase and accuracy

Post by Seth »

Robert,

Thank you for your interest in our meters.
You mentioned 3 phase - is your electrical system 3 phase?

Our 3 phase meters are designed to meter 3 phase electricity. This is where you have either 3 hot wires (usually black, red, etc.) and a neutral (usually white) or 3 hot wires only with no neutral. A Ground wire (usually green or bare wire) may or may not be involved.

If you have specifically a 3 phase 3 wire 480 volts you will need the EKM-353EDM-N v.2:
http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... n-v-2.html

If you have any other kind of 3 phase system, 480 volts or less, use our OmniMeter:
http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... 60-hz.html

Note that we do not carry meters for systems over 480 volts. For this you would probably have to use a potential transformer.

Regarding accuracy:
If under 1 amp, the accuracy of the meter (in conjunction with CTs) is within 1%. If over 1 amp is being metered, the accuracy goes to within 0.5%.

If you are using for instance 200 amp CTs that means your meter is able to properly meter a system anywhere from 0 to 200 amps.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Seth