Vertical water meter location

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to water meters, ours or others.
Bracklo2018

Vertical water meter location

Post by Bracklo2018 »

Hi all,

I'm interested in installing the EKM vertical water meter for my home (and connecting it to Home Assistant!). I took a picture of my setup - Image

I'm assuming the greenish valve on the bottom is the backflow preventer?

Question is, can I install the meter directly above it? I read about the 10x diameter distance pre-meter and 5x post meter recommendations - not sure if the installing the meter in this tight area would work.

Thanks for your help!
Jameson

Re: Vertical water meter location

Post by Jameson »

Thank you for your question. I am not able to tell how much space you have in your photo, but it does not look like you would have enough straight pipe before and after the water meter to meet the minimum requirements. This recommendation of 10x the pipe diameter in straight pipe length before the water meter and 5x the pipe diameter in straight pipe length after the water meter are to reduce turbulence and so you can achieve the maximum accuracy from your water meter.

If you are less concerned about accuracy you dont have to use as much straight pipe before or after the water meter.

You might want to install a horizontal meter instead. Come out of your backflow preventer with a 90, straight pipe to the water meter then straight pipe to 2 more 90s, then a final 90 to get the water going vertical again into your pipe.

For me the ideal water meter install has a shutoff, then a T-drop to catch sediments with a hose bib at the bottom to clean it out, then a check valve, then the straight pipe, then the water meter, then more straight pipe.

It does look like it may be a tight squeeze!

Here is an example of an older style horizontal water meter installed in a vertical situation, minus the recommended straight pipes before and after the water meter:
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.37.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.37.18 AM.png (882.88 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Bracklo2018

Re: Vertical water meter location

Post by Bracklo2018 »

Thanks Jameson. I think your solution is the way to go. I'm definitely concerned about accuracy, so I want to get the piping right. I'm also looking into meter horns / meter setters, but getting a pipe made similar to your picture seems like the way to go!