Installing a meter reading system

Forum is open to all questions, answers, and discussions related to water meters, ours or others.
PlumBill

Installing a meter reading system

Post by PlumBill »

i have a small strip center with one master meter, read by the City and billed to me. The main line comes from this meter to each individual suite. I already have meters (similar to the meters provided by EKM) on each suite, but they are difficult to access. I would like to integrate a system that would allow me to read the meters from one central location, or from one on-site suite.

It would be better if I could do this remotely, but I could read from one suite, or possibly tie into a local router and have the info sent to me over the internet.

Could I attach these pulse readers to my existing meters? What else would I need to buy to make this system wok?

Thanks
Bill
Atlanta GA
Jameson

Re: Installing a meter reading system

Post by Jameson »

Hello Bill,

Do you know if the water meters that you have already installed have a pulse output? This would be a small sensor on the face of the meter that detects when the dials indicating consumption complete a revolution. This sensor would close a micro switch every time a defined amount of water passed by the meter. If you do have these chances are our pulse counting electric meters will work well for you. We sold out of our Pulse Counting Electric Meters and are manufacturing an updated version of our EKM-25EDSP-N. Each Pulse Counting Electric Meter will accept 3 pulse inputs from your pulse output water or gas meters.

If you would like an alternative now, you could consider one of our simple 6 Digit LCD Pulse Counters:

http://www.ekmmetering.com/ekm-metering ... unter.html

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
PlumBill

Post by PlumBill »

Jameson, I don't think any of my meters have the sensor already mounted, though my meters look very similar to yours. Is there anyway to retrofit a sensor?

When do you think you will have the EKM-25EDSP-N in? I would also like to know how I can remotely. over the internet, read these?

I also have another strip mall with 17 units that I am planning to re-plumb and install a metering system.

Bill
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Bill,

Im afraid that I have not heard of retrofit kits for water meters. The Pulse Output reed switch is really buried below where the wires come out of the face. It engages with a magnet that is affixed to the slowest moving dial. Every time this slow dial goes around it trips the reed switch and produces a pulse.

We expect to have a small run of the upgraded Pulse Counting electric meters in stock within 6 weeks. You will be able to connect these to one of our EKM iSerials and read your Pulse Counting Electric Meters over the internet using our EKM Dash software, just like you would read any of our other v.2 or v.3 meters. With this system you will be able to read the pulse counts of your water meters (and gas meters if you want) as well as electrical consumption of any electrical system (using the electric metering functionality of the Pulse Counting electric meter).

Here is a communication diagram of how your system would be laid out: http://documents.ekmmetering.com/EKM-Me ... -Input.png

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
charles@osgood.com

Post by charles@osgood.com »

Are you on schedule to have a new pulse to ethernet device in a couple of weeks?
PlumBill

Post by PlumBill »

charles@osgood.com wrote:Are you on schedule to have a new pulse to ethernet device in a couple of weeks?

I would like to go forward with this, however my last reply from Jamison indicated that the central device was out of stock.
e sold out of our Pulse Counting Electric Meters and are manufacturing an updated version of our EKM-25EDSP-N.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hi Bill and Charles,

We are only a few days away from having a Pulse Counting Omnimeter, hang in there!!

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
PlumBill

Post by PlumBill »

Jameson wrote:Hi Bill and Charles,

We are only a few days away from having a Pulse Counting Omnimeter, hang in there!!

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Thanks, let me know when you have it! Just post here. I am following this post.
charles@osgood.com

Post by charles@osgood.com »

I see on your website that you have a lot of information about v4. My question is for a 3-water meter install. The 3 meters are within 200 feet of each other but the 3 meters are 400 feet away from my garage (power and internet). Does the v4 device require power? My assumption is that I connect the 3 water meters (yours) to the v4 device and I run cat5 cable for the 2 RS485 wires to a converter in my garage. Then the converter is connected to the internet. Do I have this right?
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Well good things come to those who wait. Thank you very much for your patience. :P

The Omnimeter Pulse v.4 is here!

We are very excited by this new meter, it is a major leap forward in our metering hardware capabilities. This meter is really reflects the pinnacle of our metering development, incorporating everything we have learned into a reliable, capable, and affordable metering package. We look forward to seeing where this meter will take us and our customers who use it.

Here is a quick synopsis of the Omnimeter Pulse v.4:
  • 1. Our EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 can meter any electrical system that is commonly used in the world. It can operate on 50 or 60 Hz, 120 to 480 volts, 1-phase or 3-phase, it is accurate to 0.5%, and can meter up to 5000 amp systems. Here it is on our website: http://www.ekmmetering.com/omnimeter-pulse.html

2. It has 3 Pulse Counting inputs. Each of these is counted independently and can be given an input ratio (from 1 to 9999). These will normally be used to remotely count Pulse Output Water Meters and Pulse Output Gas Meters. Each pulse input can be polled for the real-time state (open or closed), for sensing switch states, or open and closed doors, etc

3. It has 2 controllable outputs: These are regulated 12VDC 50mA. Used to control relays or power small devices. The applications vary from demand response, controlling water valves, controlling any size of relay, pre-paid metering, car charging station control, door latch, etc. These outputs can also be turned on or off from 1 to 9999 seconds.

4. Resettable kWh Registers: This meter has 2 separate kWh registers (distinct from the main kWh Registers) that can be reset to zero. There are both Total and Reverse Resettable kWh. Just like the Trip Odometer in a car, you can zero these out to see just how much energy you have used since the reset.

5. Variable kWh Resolution: The decimal places displayed on the face of the meter and in software varies depending on the CT Ratio setting in the meter. For example, if you set the meter to use 200 amp CTs the LCD screen will display kWh as 99999.99 kWh. If you set the CT ratio to 800 amps the LCD kWh screen will display 999999.9 kWh, if you set the CT ratio to 5000 amps the LCD kWh screen will display 9999999 kWh. This helps to have higher resolution for small loads and to not have the LCD screen increment too quickly for large loads.

6. Measure Max Demand on 15, 30 or 60 minute demand periods. Automatic Reset

7. Frequency, VARs, and kVARh for power quality measurement, appliance signatures, and power factor correction.

8. Real-Time Direction of Current: This is helpful for knowing if the watts you are reading are going from the Grid or back to the Grid (in the case of Solar generation)

9. Settable Pulse Output. This meter has 2 pulse outputs. 1 is still 800 pulses per kWh with 200 amp CTs, the Settable Pulse Output can be set from 1 to 800 pulses per kWh. This is useful for legacy pulse counting AMR systems.

10. Kilowatt Hours on Each Line: This meter is really 3 meters in one when installed on 2 wire systems (most of the worlds electrical systems, and 120 volt 2-wire here in the US)

11. 40 values On the LCD Screen: Set the meter to display any value you choose (from 1 to 40). See Spec Sheet

12. Large Voltage Reference Terminal Blocks
Data Returned on RS485: Over RS-485 you will get Total kWh (forward + reverse) in 4 time periods, Reverse kWh in 4 time periods (for renewable generation), volts on each line, amps on each line, watts on each line, power factor on each line, max demand (in 15, 30, or 60 minute time periods), internal meter clock time stamp with date and time, meter ID, CT Ratios, frequency (Hz), VARs, kVARh, 3 Pulse Counts, 3 Pulse Ratios, Real Time Input States (open or closed), 2 Relay Output States, Kilowatt Hours (Total and Reverse) on 3 Separate Lines (3 meters in one for some systems), Real Time Direction of Current on 3 separate Lines (solar!), settable pulse output (set from 1 to 800 pulses per kWh), Automatic Max Demand Reset. These values can be best explored by viewing a sample meter in our EKM Dash software. You can still have 256 meters connected to each gateway over 4000 feet of wire or zigbee wireless connections. Read your meters from anywhere in the world.

Here is the spec sheet: http://documents.ekmmetering.com/EKM-Om ... -Sheet.pdf
Last edited by Jameson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jameson
EKM METERING