EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 - Pulse Counter Problem

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
bakerkj

EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 - Pulse Counter Problem

Post by bakerkj »

Hi,

I have an EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4. It has firmware version 15. I am using this unit to count two pulse inputs which are attached to water meters. The units worked fine until one hit 79898 and the other hit 13453 pulses. At that point the pulse counts stopped increasing. However the pulse input states continued to change from opened to closed, and back again. I restarted the unit and the counts began increasing again. This has now failed in the same way twice. Are there any known problems with the firmware version 15 that could cause the meter to fail in the way described? Any other experiments I can try to fix it?

-- Ken
Nevland

Re: EKM Omnimeter Pulse v.4 - Pulse Counter Problem

Post by Nevland »

I use my V4 to monitor a EKM gas meter. I wasn't paying much attention to it. So I decided to check it, Not counting.

I had the same type problem early last Nov. Difficult to test if it was gas meter or the V4. Not using much gas a weather was warm.
Forced the furnace on. Was able to see contact closers with ohm meter. Resting the V4 fixed the problem.

Checking back, I see my V4 stopped counting this time on 12/31/13 I can't say that the Nov failure stopped on 10/31 or not ?
Possible software problem at end of month ? Only clue I can come up with.

I am going to try to up load a couple of screen shots. Date and time lower left. EKM gas mtr upper right. Red background port closed.
Green background port open. Note reading did chance between the two dates.
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

C:\Users\Bill\Pictures\EKM01-10-14.psd
C:\Users\Bill\Pictures\12-31-13.psd

I don't know if this works or not.
Tried to post screens shots, didn't work

Bill
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hi Ken and Bill,

Yes, we have seen this in a few cases now with a batch of v4 meters (we are narrowing in on if this has to do with the meter hardware). It seems to be isolated to certain kinds of electrical systems. Can you let us know more about the equipment you have on your electrical system. Are you on a system that is being fed by a solar inverter, or do you have any variable frequency drives, or do you have intermittent power? We are working to narrow this down.

Anyone out there that has been affected by this issue, please email as much as possible about your electrical system and what you think may have lead to the lock up. We are working on a modification to the EKM Dash that will let you set it so that it will email you if the Pulse count does not increase by 1 in x reads (you will be able to customize this setting). If this issue persists, by all means you can send us your meter and we will ship you a replacement unit.

Thanks again for your help
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
xAPPO

Post by xAPPO »

Interesting...

I noticed my counters froze a few weeks back and I briefly tried shorting the pulse contacts at the EKM meter but that didn't create any extra pulse registrations.. I didn't further research it as I wanted to check the gas meter was OK which I have just done and it's pulsing away. So to get this working again I have to remove power to the meter ? [edit: Yes- updating Pulse settings didn't fix it, so it needed power cycling]

I have another meter bought at the same time that will be installed in a holiday home so I can't easily revisit it should it fail so I'm hoping you will instead have a firmware update fix as the EKM Dash email isn't a viable solution.

Kevin

BTW I don't have any solar , variable frequency drives or intermittent power... We have had one power outage but I don't know if that was coincident with the counters stopping. I'll let you know if it happens again.
Firmware 15
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks Kevin,
Yes, please let us know if this happens again and any anomalies that could have been the culprit. We appreciate the help.
Best regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
xAPPO

Post by xAPPO »

Only unusual aspect is that I have two external devices constantly connecting reading and disconnecting via the Ethernet device server. These never update anything however.

I can determine pretty quickly when a freeze occurs so is there anyway to clear this condition programatically i.e. a software reset command ? I'm suspecting not as your proposed Dash change originates an email alert.

Kevin
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Thanks Kevin,

No there will not be a way to reboot the meter out of this state except for a power cycle (as far as I know). Yes, the Dash would generate an email that would alert you to the issue.

Thanks for your help.
Jameson
EKM METERING
bakerkj

Post by bakerkj »

Hi Jameson,

My EKM meter is only monitoring two pulse water meters - no electrical monitoring. For power it is connected to its own breaker. My power has been very reliable for the last few months. I do have a TED (http://www.theenergydetective.com) system monitoring my electrical usage. I also have Enphase Solar micro inveters (http://enphase.com/) generating solar power. But the EKM meter is on grid power and not fed by those micro inverters directly (they are grid tied).

Thanks!

-- Ken
Nevland

Post by Nevland »

Houston We have a problem
My EKM (233) stopped counting again on 4-16. This is the third time it has done this. (11/13 ,12/31,and 4/16). It again showed no advancement on 7/4/14. I cannot guarantee that a full cuft of propane was used that day. (Cloths dryer was running and hot water heater was enabled)
Each time except for the 7-4-14 event I have done as Seth suggested last Nov. Recycled the meter. (disconnected the two hot leads) While this is inconvenient and a little dangerous. (It requires working inside the transfer switch). Alternative is shut down the whole household. Which intern requires then resetting of clocks, microwave, tv etc.
When this happens the pulse count seems to resets to zero. (Not 100% sure of this.) This reset to zero does not seem to happen when I test the transfer switch. (The main contactor in the transfer switch is a set for break before make so the V4 is with out power for a few milliseconds during the transfer.) Count seems to survive the transfer switch power interruption. Pulse Count does not seem to be effected by normal power outage of transfers to generator and back. Also the pulse count does not seem to count to a fixed number then stop. (Can not guarantee this).
The problem this time however the consequences are more severe. The V4 will no longer allow me to reset Resetable KWH or Max Demand.
Dash says my password is incorrect even there has been no change made to it.
The V4 failed to update again on 7-17-14 This time I lugged to computer out to the barn and made some tests.
I converted an old telephone dial for source of pulses (number dialed + 1)

All 3 counters failed to up date. Tested thus
Data shows that the port Open signal was acted on. Software showed the port closed. Then opened again even thought the pulse count was not updating.

Failure seems to happen when I test the transfer switch
When I add a heavy load to the generator it uses propane at a rate so that you can watch the EKM counter update.
The EKM handled the switch from utility power to Generator power Ok (Continued counting).
It (EKM) failed when the transfer switch was switched back to utility power.

The pulse count problem was corrected by resetting the EKM. (Power off then back on again.)
The distressing part is after the 4-17 failure the EKM fails to recognize my password preventing me from resetting Max Demand etc.
I have seen on the forum that others have had problems with the V4 pulse counters. Have you any clue as to how this happens.

Bill