EKM Metering systems for solar PV?

Forum is open to all discussions related to cleantech, including solar and wind power, electric vehicles, energy efficiency, etc.
solarowl

EKM Metering systems for solar PV?

Post by solarowl »

Im a solar installer and Im looking for a metering system that I can include with my customers solar systems. Has anyone used an EKM metering system with the solar PV system? If so, what kind of information will it offer? And does anyone know what meter is suitable for this type of situation? Omnimeter?
Jameson

Re: EKM Metering systems for solar PV?

Post by Jameson »

Hi SolarOwl!

Any of our smart (communicating) meters will work well in a solar installation where you want to measure how much power is flowing in each direction. Our EKM-Omnimeter is our most recommended just because it can be used on any electrical system in the world. When connected on the line between the solar generating system and the power grid it will give you this meter data:

Total kWh (forward +reverse)
Total kWh in 4 separate time periods, plus seasonal rates (useful in Time-of-Use situations where power is more expensive during the day than at night)
Reverse kWh
Reverse kWh in 4 separate time periods, plus seasonal rates

Here is some other data the meter will return that may apply to your needs: volts on each line, amps on each line, watts on each line, power factor on each line, max demand, internal meter clock time stamp with date and time, meter ID, CT Ratios, as well as some other data.

Here is a page showing the values that are displayed on the face of the meter: http://documents.ekmmetering.com/EKM_Me ... eading.pdf

Of course you can also get even more use out of your meter if you connect it to a computer running our EKM Reader software or our new EKM Push system.

If you are an installer we would definitely recommend you take a look at the powerful capabilities of the EKM Push system. It will be much more useful if you have multiple sites spread around your area or country. You will be able to monitor all of your sites remotely via the internet. The setup at each site is much easier, just plug it in and the EKM Push will start reading your meters (up to 256 meters on 4000 ft of wire) and will then push all of the meter data mentioned above to a central database for your convenient collection.

Here is some more info about the EKM Push: http://www.ekmmetering.com/push-communications

You can use this Push data and either use the apps that we or others here provide. Or, our vision is that you will be able to use this data to build apps of your own that your customers will find useful. We get the data, clean it up, post it to a secure central location. All your software or website will have to do is retrieve this data and display it for your solar customers to use.

If you have any questions, or if you need anything at all, please let us know.

Best regards,
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

By the way...

Did anyone see the Homepower Magazine write up that included a mention of our meters??

It was about a 50 kW grid-tied PV system at a 30 building community in Ithaca, New York that used a bunch of our meters to manage their energy. Very cool. 8-)
Jameson
EKM METERING
solarowl

Post by solarowl »

Thank you Jameson, your products are very compelling, especially the Push system.

I will be purchasing a test system soon.

Thanks again!
mickel

Post by mickel »

Im a solar installer and Im looking for a metering system that I can include with my customers solar systems. Has anyone used an EKM metering system with the solar PV system? If so, what kind of information will it offer? And does anyone know what meter is suitable for this type of situation? Omnimeter? :D :D
Mian Ayaz
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Mian,

I would go with the Omnimeter Pulse v.4 for your solar system. Mostly because (in addition to all of the other parameters the Omnimeter I v.3 reports) it reports the direction of current in real-time. So if you were to locate this meter between the building and the grid, the meter would tell you if you are importing or exporting power on each line in real time.

I would then use the EKM Push system and export your data (or your customers data) to pvoutput.org: http://www.ekmmetering.com/pvoutput so you can compare and compete with a bunch of people all over the world (mostly Aussies)

Or you can use the widget or encompass.io to view your (or your customers) data from anywhere in the world, it would look similar to this:
Screenshot 2015-01-15 19.49.57.png
Screenshot 2015-01-15 19.49.57.png (155.07 KiB) Viewed 29565 times
You can use the EKM Dash software to monitor your system and for example have it send you an email if a system has been underperforming for a few days (using Triggers).

Depending or where you are installing and the size of your systems, you can then use your metering system to get SREC credits, credits through California Solar Initiative, or LEED credits.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with an un-biased opinion :lol: Hope the above was helpful.

Cheers,
Jameson
EKM METERING
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Hi Mian.

Like Jamison, I would also go with the v.4 for your solar generation, export and import from grid connection, but I would use MeterMan http://www.mymetermanager.com/
MeterMan
MeterMan
meterman1.jpg (232.56 KiB) Viewed 29561 times
for all your monitoring and uploading to PVOutput, It is able to give you and your clients information you cannot get from other software solutions currently available.

Cheers
mamrai1

Post by mamrai1 »

so can we install an omnimeter pulse v4 between the building and the grid in a solar net metering installation and upload live 'net' data on pvoutput.org?
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

mamrai1

Post by mamrai1 »

So the pvoutput api can distinguish import and export watts to the grid? What i mean is that i upload live my pv solar generation but for consumption i need a meter for 'net' direction installed between the grid and the building cause my pv inverter output is on a sub-board in the house. i can't install a meter for load direction for this reason.