New Wifi/lost communications and iSerial login failure

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
Tim

New Wifi/lost communications and iSerial login failure

Post by Tim »

First, thanks for the forum. This is my first post although I've owned and used your meters since 2012. I apologize if it's too long a post.

After I replaced my wifi router I am now unable to communicate with my meters locally. I have 2-25IDS meters connected to the iSerial which records data to a Windows XP machine with EKM software. Both the iSerial and the laptop were cable connected to my old wireless router which was cable connected to my ISP modem. I was manually emailing the data files as needed. I know that the new router has a new IP address and I was attempting to reconfigure the iSerial to work with the new router. I am unable to login in order to configure the device with default username and password. Apparently when we (tech and I) originally set up the system (2012) we had to reconfigure the iSerial because I have notes that state it was reset to the following:

IP Address: 192.168.2.125
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.12
DNS: 192.168.2.1

I am able to get to the login window using Firefox with the instructions in "EKM-iSerial-TCP/IP to Serial Converter Spec Sheet", but not past it as I am receiving "invalid user name or password" after entering "admin" for both values. I do not have any notes indicating that the user name or password was changed. Can you please advise?

I don't particularly care if I reconfigure the iSerial if in the end I can achieve the following:
1. Run EKM Dash on another laptop running Windows 8.1 and communicate with the meters wirelessly (locally).
2. Send data via email at specified intervals automatically.
3. Access my meters online from anywhere.

Thanks, Tim
BlueHornet

Re: New Wifi/lost communications and iSerial login failure

Post by BlueHornet »

Is your new router using the same IP Network Addressing as your previous router? Example is it using 192.168.2.xxx or is it using different addressing like 192.168.0.xxx or 10.10.0.xxx etc.? In which case you might be best to perform a reset on the iSerial and follow the original installation instructions.

Anyway try using the username - admin & password - system first.

If that doesn't work, you could perform a hard reset of your iSerial which will return it to the original default factory settings.

To do this you need to open the iSerial, remove power whilst opening, once open you should see a micro switch between the power jack and the RJ45 jack. Press and hold the switch and reapply power keep holding the switch for a further 3-5secs after power has been applied, release switch, remove power and close up the iSerial. Your iSerial should be restored to original factory defaults so just get your instruction sheet to follow the setup proceedure and reapply all the settings.

http://documents.ekmmetering.com/EKM-iS ... -Sheet.pdf

IP Address: 192.168.2.125
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.12 (the default gateway for this IP Address should be 192.168.2.1)
DNS: 192.168.2.1
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's using a different IP. I'm still unable to login with your recommended password. I will try to reset the iSerial.
Thanks
Tim

Post by Tim »

I did a hard reset on my iSerial as discussed but I am still unable to login. I can now reach the login page via Firefox at 192.168.1.125 however, I am still receiving, "invalid user name or password", after entering "admin" and "admin".
Now I cannot communicate with my meters at all. When I send a command to "read all meters", in the far right column I get 2 exclamation points about 5 seconds apart and then an "X".

Why can't I access the iSerial after hard reset and how do I get communication back?
Thanks.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

It sounds like the username and password for your iSerial was changed at some point in the past to something other than admin/admin. If so, we dont have a way to discover what the password was set to. Sorry we couldn't be of more help here.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

So, a hard reset doesn't reset the ID and Password to default settings?
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

What you are saying would make sense, but to be honest I dont know off hand, I would have to test it here. First I would also try system/admin and admin/system. It sounds like you have a very old iSerial and I have an inkling it could have been something other than admin/admin by default.
Jameson
EKM METERING
Tim

Post by Tim »

I had tried admin/system from an earlier recommendation without success. system/admin failed as well.
I expected the hard reset would allow access with admin/admin, which is default, and I was told the reset restored the iSerial to defaults. Had I known this would not work I never would have reset it because I could at least log to my PC as I've been doing since 2012.

At this point I now have a non functioning system and am going to need some solutions to the problem.

Thanks
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Yeah, I would probably not have recommended you reset your iSerial as was recommended by BlueHornet, unless there was a really compelling reason to do so. It is kind of the nuclear option. First, are you sure that it actually did reset to factory? We think that it should have gone back to its defaults, but your iSerial is so old, I cant remember what those are.
Jameson
EKM METERING
Tim

Post by Tim »

OK, so I guess at this point I've learned my lesson: don't listen to anyone's advice on this forum unless it's your advice.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me solve my problem. A problem, interestingly enough, that is still the same as it was from the beginning of this thread, namely, I cannot get past the ID/Password field when communicating with the iSerial.

To answer your question, I assume the reset worked because my original setting was 192.168.2.125 which was, prior to reset, accessible on Firefox but now is not, and it is now accessible on Firefox at 192.168.1.125, but again, not beyond the ID/Password window.

For what this is worth, I went back through my emails of January, 2012 when we set up my system. Originally, I had email correspondence with Seth but, because I couldn't get things to work, you emailed me and had me call you. It was at this time we changed the default IP to the one I'd been using till now. That said, I'm assuming that default admin/admin worked because the only notes I wrote down were the new settings for the IP and related info. No new ID or Password.

So, I am coming away from all this discourse with the feeling that I have an iSerial that I can no longer use. I am irritated that advice was given to me on this forum to do something you would not have told me to do. OK, stupid me. However, I need some definitive answers. Does the hard reset restore the default ID/Password or not? If yes, why is mine not working? If no, then do I have any other options with this iSerial other then to throw it away?