New User

General questions and discussions focused around the EKM Metering System. Discuss your meters, installations, and meter communications here.
tacman7

New User

Post by tacman7 »

Hi,

I put an old fashioned meter on the rental house that's on the property where I live(SoCal). That's been working fine for some years.

But now I'm on TOU billing so I need to know how much was used in peak and off peak etc.

I'm thinking of getting the Omnimeter 1v3 and Dash software along with EKM Blink.

I would like to get the data every month using a laptop that runs XP.

Does that sound like a working solution?

What's the difference between Omnimeter 1 and 11? Just UL approval?

Can the Dash software extract the data I need or do I need to do that with a spreadsheet later?
I would need to know usage between 8-2 Off Peak, 2-10 Peak, 10-8 Super Off Peak.
Then weekends have no Peak.

Thanks
Last edited by tacman7 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tacman7

Re: New User

Post by tacman7 »

One other thing...

The wire I'm metering is aluminum, that would be ok to use with the piercing connectors?

Thanks
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Hello Tacman7,

Yes, you can use any of our Omnimeter models to help you with your Time-of-Use (TOU) billing. Our Omnimeters keep track of 4 separate TOU tariff rates internally so that you can tell exactly how many kWh you have used in the On Peak Hours, Off Peak Hours, Sholder, Super Peak. The meter itself can also keep track of Weekends and Holidays. Here is an article that describes how to setup your EKM Omnimeter for TOU billing: https://help.ekmmetering.com/support/so ... se-tariffs

Yes, you will want to get an Omnimeter and the EKM Blink to be able to make these settings. Our EKM Dash software should work on your Windows XP machine.

Once you have your meter setup to keep track of the TOU, you will be able to read your meter with the EKM Dash and be able to see how many kWh you have measured in each Time-of-Use period.

The Omnimeter II v.3 UL is a bit larger than the Omnimeter I v.3, it also comes with a 10 year warranty (vs 2), and is UL Listed. Here is a page that compares our different Omnimeter models: http://documents.ekmmetering.com/Omnime ... -Chart.pdf

The Insulation Piercing Connectors can be used on both Aluminum and Copper cables.
Jameson
EKM METERING
http://www.ekmmetering.com
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

Just what I was looking for!

Thanks

I don't see shipping after putting a things in my cart, is that free shipping? ($275 purchase)
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

Great to hear!

Sorry, no we do not offer free shipping. We try to charge just what it takes to ship (we dont try to make money on shipping). If you want to ship faster it will cost more. We let you decide.

If you ship by a normal method within the US, we ship using USPS Priority in most cases and it usually costs from $10 to $30. USPS Priority takes 1-3 days within the USA so it works pretty well, is fast, and is inexpensive.
Jameson
EKM METERING
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

Received the hardware, looks great!

How do I get the software license etc.?

Thanks

------

Whoa, I thought I bought the software but looking at my receipt, I guess I didn't!

Is that something I can just download?
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

There is a lot more information about the EKM Dash software here (including download links): https://www.ekmmetering.com/pages/meter-software

When you download the Dash, we give you a 30 day free trial of the full version. After this you can either buy a copy online and we will email you your EKM Dash user key. Or you can use the free version which is a little bit limited in some of the functionality.

The full version of the EKM Dash is a one time $30 to support the development. It is a one time fee and is non-recurring. You can use your EKM Dash key on an unlimited number of computers, reading an unlimited number of meters.
Jameson
EKM METERING
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

Sounds great!

Thanks
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

Taking me a long time to get setup but making progress.

So I have my meter in and I have Dash software on my laptop.

When I close the application it goes to database cleanup.

I've read the meter for a few seconds just to make sure it was reading, don't know how much database has to be cleaned up.

I've never let it finish so far, I just stopped it and shut the computer down.

It's been cleaning database for a few hours now and I'll give it a few more.

I'm making a spreadsheet with the data I need to program the meter for the tariffs.

Once I get it set up I just have to read it once a month and collect all the data right?

Then I can export a spreadsheet?

I was noticing other threads where they want it reading all the time.

Thanks
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

Can I set up my tariffs on the laptop then take it to the meter and transmit all the data?

Or I have to be there at the meter when typing in the data?

Can I rename the schedules or I have to keep track of that in my spreadsheet?

Hoping I can figure it out once I start working with it. Thanks again.
Any advice towards methodology appreciated.

Summer Rates
Summer rates apply June through September. Rates
are per kWh.

Weekday Summer Rates
Off-Peak: 28 cents from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8
p.m. to 10 p.m.
Super Off-Peak: 13 cents from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
On-Peak: 52 cents from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Weekend Summer Rates
Off-Peak: 28 cents from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Winter Rates
Winter rates apply October through May. Rates are
per kWh.

Weekday Winter Rates
Off-Peak: 25 cents from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8
p.m. to 10 p.m.
On-Peak: 33 cents from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m

Weekend Winter Rates
Weekend Off-Peak: 25 cents per kWh from 8 a.m. to
10 p.m.